Trachelectomy or hysterectomy (children mentioned)

Hi everyone,

This is my first post but I have been reading the forum for a while, and have found it to be a great source of information in recent months. 

I am 26 and have recently been diagnosed with stage 1b1 adenocarcinoma. I have been told that a radical trachelectomy may be an option for me. This is not a certainty yet due to the way the tumour has grown (it is closer to my uterus than they would like), but it seems likely that it will be viable. 

I know I am extremely lucky that a trachelectomy is even a possibility and I am very grateful that I may have treatment options - I am recently married and we had planned to have children in the future.

What I am finding difficult is there is little recent and reliable information out there on pregnancy outcomes post-trachelectomy. I am yet to meet with the oncologist who will be treating me and I hope he will be able to give me more of a steer, but I was wondering if anyone on the forum had experiences/thoughts to share that would be helpful.

My concern is that whilst the trachelectomy would give us hope of children, it could in reality just mean we are postponing the trauma and opening ourselves up to years of trying (and failing) to conceive/miscarriages/severely premature birth. If this is what we are going to end up with I wonder whether it would be better to draw a line under it now and have the radical hysterectomy. It seems that a lot of people who are offered trachelectomy take the option, and I feel selfish for even thinking about turning it down but I am not of the view that I want to maintain my fertility at any cost. 

I know this is a decision that only me and my husband can make but it would be good to hear from other people who have had a similar dilemma.

Thanks

L x 

Hi Loubee,

I've sent you a PM.

x

Hi Loubee,

It has been many years since your post, and I find myself faced with a similar choice to you today. I wonder where you are now and how you are doing. What was your decision?

Hope you are both well and happy x