To reassure anyone if I can

My name is Amanda I am 34 and recently went for my slightly overdue smear. Initially went to see my gp as I had pain during intimacy, spotting between periods, back pain and discharge.

She did a pelvic exam and said you have an ectropian which bleeds on contact, she took a smear and within a week I had the results high grade dsarkosis severe with an appointment for urgent coloscopy today. I don't know how I got through the weekend, my 3 daughters were at their dad's and I felt so ill, I couldn't eat, sleep and my anxiety was causing me extreme distress.

I went into coloscopy today shaking, crying and struggling to control my anxiety which in my everday life I dont suffer with, my blood pressure was through the roof my heartrate was off the scale but the nurses were so kind, the consultant had a good look and said CIN 111 does not look like cancer. We can do the treatment now a loop diathermy so she numbed me up and put on the solution to highlight the cells, then because I was so anxious my body went into shock and she said I can't do it your insides are quivering, I will book you in for a general we will remove this and you will be ok, hearing the words it's not cancer and you will be okay is the exact words you need to hear.

I think what I am trying to say is although this might seem like the scariest thing in the world it's not, they see cervixes all day everyday and know what they are looking for so even if it seems bad and youve convinced yourself it will be it most usually is not as bad as you think, try not to panic that it's cancer although every twinge, back ache, bowel pain, tummy pain tells you it is it most probably is not, your mind can be your own worst enemy at times.

Just remember you went, you got screened and you have been brave! The changes found are very very unlikely to be cancer. I have been following some of the posts on here and in my darkest times over the past week they have given me much comfort & reassurance stay strong be brave and think positive! X

I'm so happy to have read your post Amanda as I'm going through a very similar thing at the moment- it's my colposcopy on Thursday! I went to tbe drs last Mon day because of post coital bleeding and she said my cervix looked very red and inflamed. She said it could just be erosion but referred me for an urgent colposcopy without even doing a smear. I had an abnormal smear in June 2013 (borderline changes and HPV) but at the colposcopy the cells had changed back to normal so I was put back on 3 yearly recall. I've been terrified since last Monday and an dreading the colposcopy. I hated it last time and they didn't even have to treat me. Reading your post has been reassuring and hopefully I'll have the same out come. So glad it's been good news for you and hope the ga goes well! x

Hi Looby0312

I am so glad it reassured you a bit, It's an awful situation and it does not matter how many people tell you not to worry everything will be ok you can't take it in, how do they know it will be ok. Have never suffered anxiety like this before and for me it was truly terrifying. I asked my gp if she could give me something to calm my nerves and she gave me some vallium which on top of rescue remedy, 2 cups of camomile tea and some nytol calm exlicir made not a jot of difference, if your dreading it your dreading it. Try to stay focused and know at least at coloscopy if nothing else they can tell you what in their opinion they think is the issue, which might not be your complete diagnosis but at least it gives you some idea of what you might be dealing with, forewarned is forearmed. I am not 100% convinced all is well as I also have an enlarged womb according to me gp and still have symptoms and as the consultant told me today abnormal cells don't give you symptoms so I have booked in for a private well woman ultrasound to check my uterus, ovaries, pelvic area just for reassurance. Please let me know how it goes for you Thursday. I will keep everything crossed for you and please message me if your feeling scared or anxious. Xx

Hi Amanda, hope you're ok. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply-I'm going to try and focus on what you've said (and maybe have a shot of vodka before hand!) Less than 24 hours from now and hopefully it will all be over, and these butterflies that Ive had in my stomach for the past 10 will dissapear!! When are you booked in for the general? I can understand why you're still worried... Could it be the cervical erosion that's causing the bleeding? I hope you're not waiting too long to find out and that the scan goes well. Will you keep me posted please? Thanks again Amanda xx

Hi Looby0312

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you today, please let me know how it goes. Much love amanda xx

Hi Amanda, I've just logged on to send you a message and seen your lovely message above! Thanks so much and fortunately it's good news!! :) It's cervical erosion that's been causing the abnormal bleeding!! :) The nurse had cauterisrd the area so should stop the bleeding and apart from that my cervix looks normal! Relieved is an understatement! Realise how lucky I am and actually feel a bit guilty tonight, thinking about all the women who haven't been given good news. This site is amazing though, there's so much information and support, it's such a massive help. Anyway, thanks again Amanda and I really hope you get good news soon. Keep in touch! xx

I am so happy for you, have been thinking of you today and hoping for good news! Brilliant! Although sadly not everyone will get good news it is very encouraging and reassuring for people in this situation like us who have been so anxious and worried to hear a positive outcome! Here's to you and your amazing news! I will keep you posted on my updates. I bet you will have a good night's sleep tonight! Xx

I am so happy for you, have been thinking of you today and hoping for good news! Brilliant! Although sadly not everyone will get good news it is very encouraging and reassuring for people in this situation like us who have been so anxious and worried to hear a positive outcome! Here's to you and your amazing news! I will keep you posted on my updates. I bet you will have a good night's sleep tonight! Xx