Thoroughly confused

I'm not sure this is the right place to be, but I feel like I need to get some things off my chest.

I've had random spotting, with strong period like pains, on and off for about 7 weeks. So I saw the GP on Thursday. Looking at my medical history which includes a borderline smear result I was unaware of; blood tests results with high (or maybe low) white cell counts' heavy/painful periods that saw me in A&E in May and pain during sex, he was concerned. He sent me for blood tests and is referring me to a gynae-oncologist. They haven't done another smear or colposcopy - I thought that GPs do that, but maybe the oncologist will? I'm really confused by what's going on. Does this sound familiar to anyone at all?!

Hi.

Your GP could of done a smear, but he/she has done the right thing by referring you to Gyn. At the hospital you will have a colposcopy. A colposcopy trumps a smear anyday of the week! A colp is nothing to worry about in itself and there is load so f info on here about what it enatails. You will be looked at by someone who looks at fannies all day long! You are in much better hands at the hospital than with the GP. Your symptoms could be a million and one things so it really is best that you are being sent for a good 'look see' Good luck with it all,

Thanks so much, that's reassuring to know. I worried that such a quick referral meant something significant.

Not just have to get through half term and see what the consultant says!