Terrified....

Hi sorry in advance this may be a long one!!

I had a smear test in feb this year which came back normal- all fine and dandy no worries!!

In about May/June time I started having irregular periods- so I popped myself along to the doctor who assured me it was nothing to worry about and changed my contreceptive pill. That seemed to sort out the irregular bleeding!!

A couple of montha ago I noticed that I was bleeding after intercourse (not a lot) so after trying to ignore it the best I could I went back to the dr's again where he performed an internal examination.

After that he said I think you might have a thrush infection but I have noticed it does look a bit 'lumpy' come back and see me in 2 weeks. So off I trot this morning to go and have another internal. So he sits me down and says ok so your cervix looks a bit lumpy and inflamed and I can see some red patches so I'm going to get you checked out!!!

At this point my mind is just running wild and I don't know what to say... So I ask do you think it could be cancer and he says I don't know I'll send a referral and you should be seen for a colposcopy within 2 weeks.

So far i've managed to convince myself that I've got a high level tumor and that I'm going to die. I'm not asking anyone to reassure me but I'm just asking if anyone has been in the same position- been told they have a clear smear bit then after an examination theor cervix doesn't look as healthy as it should.

Also with all the evidence stacking up against me could it possibly be anything else but cancer?

thanks for taking the time to read this know it is a bit long winded

xx

Hi Evie :) I know you said no reassurance, but you sound so worried that I couldn't not write. For what it's worth, I've been told cc is very slow to develop  - they say it takes years. I asked at my colposcopy whether smear tests missed anything, and was told that in the past with one person looking at each test they did use to miss things at times, but now they have two people look there's pretty much no chance. 

Hoping that you get an appointment soon. X

Thank you so much for replying I really am terrified about being diagnosed with CC more so because I'm a single mum and can't imagine the effect it will have on my family! I think I'm also really mad at myself because I didn't ask any questions and about an hour later I had a thousand and one I could have asked him!

xx

hi Evie,

In my limited experience I have found the waiting for results and tests the worst thing, so I can understand how you feel. It's horrible not knowing, and having zillions of questions buzzing round your brain! Do you know where you will be referred to? It might be worth giving them a call before your appointment and maybe they can run through some of your questions beforehand? The hospital I had my biopsies and treatment in were always on hand for a phone call to give some general advice.

Xx

So on saturday I got my letter to be referred to the gynaelogy department at the hospital and it's for tomorrow!!! Which has sent me into a complete anxiety attack thinking they are seeing me so soon because they are certain it's something awful. I know I'm not helping myself and in a way tomorrow can't come soon enough I really am expecting the worst but just want to be seen 

I'll update when I've been- just hot to get through today!!

thank you all so much for your support it really does mean a lot xx

This time of waiting is the absolute worst. But it passes! Take a deep breath and just concentrate on getting through tomorrow first; couple of ibuprofen before you go And bring a pad. And someone for company! 

You are expecting the worst. If that happens you will cope. And if not it will be brilliant! 

As you can see, I was diagnosed with cc and am going for radical hysterectomy tomorrow. I can honestly say I do not feel as bad today, not even close, as I did when I was in your position. So I completely sympathise. But you can do it!!!!

all the best for tomorrow, let us know, we're here for you.

Molly xxx

Just an update- today was the dreaded day! I went to the hospital expecting to hear the worst and by the time I was seen I was a gibbering wreck! The nurse and doctor who I saw were absolutely amazing I had a colposcopy done and the doctor stared that he could see some raw patches but felt that these were due to cervical erosion rather than abnormal cells. So I had a cold coagulation procedure done and was sent on my way.

i can't explain the relief I feel and recognise that I'm so so so so blessed I really am one of the lucky ones. these last few weeks have been horrendous and your support and kind words have really got me through. Before I went today I wrote a list of things I would do if I didn't have cc which included setying up a regular donation to jo's trust and stopping smoking so my focus now is to complete that list!

i really really want to wish you ladies all the luck and best for the future I really hope you get the outcomes you all deserve

thank you so so much xxx