Tampax! Help!

Hi all,

had my colposcopy 4th feb and still waiting for my results. No treatment given yet but 2 biopsies taken. 

so, today I got my noreal period. Can anyone advise if i would be ok to use tampax?!!! I've an awards ball on Saturday and have a lovely maxi dress to wear and the thought of having to wear a towel is filling me with dread! I've looked online and it says you shouldn't post colposcopy however is that just straight after??!! Anyone know? 

also, really wish they'd hurry up with my results! 

Thanks guys

M xxxx

Hi I had my colp and biopsy on the 6th feb and had my period this weekend and used tampons as normal. I think you just have to wait a week after a biopsy and a bit longer after a lletz. 

Hi Tinders, 

I had my colp a week before you and am too still waiting for the results :(

I had a biopsy taken and was told no sex, bathing or tampons for at least 4 weeks...did they give you a leaflet with do's and dont's on?

Wishing the time away to get my results and also to have a nice long soak in the tub :)

Obviously we may have had completely different things done and you may be fine but worth checking as you dont want to risk an infection.

xx

Uh oh! I've used tampons, had sex, lifted weights AND had a bath within 2 weeks of my colp! The doctor never told me not to and the leaflet just says 'refrain while there is still bleeding' 

Hope I haven't messed things up! Everything seems fine anyway.... 

Ha, im jealous!!! Im too much of a scaredy cat to risk it. Im sure you would know if any of these things have affected you so I'm sure you are fine!

xx

Ahhhh Ive not used towels for years and it just feels sooooo minging! 

Littlecat I didn't have lletz, just a biopsy. Think the lletz will be next from what the doctor said :( does it hurt?? 

Thewaitinggame I know the feeling. I need to shave my legs and it's not easy in the shower! Lol. Hopefully we will both be fine and it'll be worth a few weeks of no bath!

there are various types of biopsy that can be taken during colposcopy. Minor one is punch biopsy - you will have bleeding after and should not have sex and use tampons for approx a week or until the spotting stops. Other procedure is LLETZ , when they remove more from your cervix with an electric loop (i've had both and both were quick and painless:) - after LLETZ you will have a discharge, and should not use tampons (to prevent risk of onfection) , have baths and have sex for about 4-6 weeks, depends when the discharge/spotting stops.

LLETZ is not painful at all, my doctor was briliant, i did not feel anything, not even the numbing injections! Was over in 5 minutes, easier than going to the dentist! :))

I had the punch one. Discharge and little bleeding for a few days. So nothing for about a week and now have my normal period. So based on what you said is probs be okay with tampax. Will see how I get on. Hopefully won't br so heavy at weekend but if I am good to know can probably wear a tampax! Phew! 

Thanks for all your help. Also good to hear the lletz isnt painful as I think thats what's next.....

m x 

Hey I haven't had a full lletz yet but the way they did my biopsy was the same as the procedure for lletz (local anaesthetic and loop biopsy). Not sure why they did it like this but there you go! It didn't hurt at all, I felt a quick pain with the needle and then I was freaking out saying "please don't start yet cos I might not be numb" and the doctor just said "well I've already done it so I think you're OK!" haha. Honestly nothing to worry about. I'm sure a punch biopsy hurts more than the needle tbh. I've got to have a full lletz next but I feel like I've already had a preview so I'm not as scared as I was before the colposcopy. 

Hey I haven't had a full lletz yet but the way they did my biopsy was the same as the procedure for lletz (local anaesthetic and loop biopsy). Not sure why they did it like this but there you go! It didn't hurt at all, I felt a quick pain with the needle and then I was freaking out saying "please don't start yet cos I might not be numb" and the doctor just said "well I've already done it so I think you're OK!" haha. Honestly nothing to worry about. I'm sure a punch biopsy hurts more than the needle tbh. I've got to have a full lletz next but I feel like I've already had a preview so I'm not as scared as I was before the colposcopy. 

I've always been told no tampons, no sex, no hard exercise especially swimming for 4-6 weeks after my biopsies and lletzes.

They didn't mention not having a bath but it makes sense, the bath water could increase infection especially but you're slashing about up there.

I'll have to knock the baths on the head and just shower.

I've had Lletz twice now, it's a bit more uncomfortable than a biopsy. 

Healing takes a bit longer, after my first every now and again I'd get a sensation that I think was an itch!

I just grin and bear it. Hopefully, it will all be worth it in the long run.