Stress again

Hi all,

I had an abnormal result 3 years ago with low grade changes and HPV and was referred for colposcopy. this caused me to panic and for 3 weeks the stress and anxiety severely affected my relationship. At the colposcopy apppointment a biopsy was taken and the result was no abnormality but there was evidence of HPV. I was put on 3 year recall and have booked a smear for March. Now all my anxiety is back and I feel I will automatically be referred again as I understand you cannot get rid of HPV. I'm aware many are going through much worse but the stress of the next results combined with work stress etc are once again affecting my mental health with headaches and colds. How can I deal with this better?

thanks

Hello Vic20 have you tried phoning Jo's helpline for advice on managing stress? You can also refer yourself for counselling through your gp or the nhs website. The important thing is not to bottle it all up. Journaling, using a mindfulness app like headspace or just getting out for a walk in the fresh air may help. You are not alone with your worries on here; the uncertainty of waiting for test results is difficult to deal with & it helps me to remind myself what is within my control & what is not. It also helps to remind myself that the screening & monitoring is intended to spot changes as early as possible which is a good thing!

Vic20 I know it's hard but try not worry. I was in a similar position. I had one hpv+ smear 5 or 6 years ago and following that I had a colp and biopsy every year - i remained hpv positive until last month but I was never diagnosed with any CIN. I'm now hpv negative and have been discharged to 3 yearly smears at GP.

So even if the HPV is there, it can go away again. 

It's worth remembering  HPV is extremely common and that Cancer research UK state your lifetime risk of cervical cancer is just 0.65% less than 1%. Even high risk HPV does in most cases resolve itself. Try not to worry. 

It's worth remembering  HPV is extremely common and that Cancer research UK state your lifetime risk of cervical cancer is just 0.65% less than 1%. Even high risk HPV does in most cases resolve itself. Try not to worry. 

Thanks all for your comments. I still struggle with this but I figure having been once I can do it again. The other thing is I will only be on day 8 of my cycle , is this going to be an issue?