Spotting before period after trachelectomy

Hello ladies, I hope everyone is doing well.

I'm having a couple of issues with my periods after my trachelectomy in feb and also now trying to conceive. 

So, I am using ovulation tests and tracking my cycle.  My periods are pretty irregular but i'm thinking that is pretty normal after a trach so not too concerned.  What's confusing me though is that I get some spotting 2 or 3 days before my full flow period. 

This is usually brown and/or dark red (sorry for tmi).  It's not really light, but tends to be a little rush of blood then nothing until the next day... I'm so confused about when to track that my period is actually starting.  Is blood escaping because my cervix is 'open' or is it struggling to come out and doing so it fits and starts? 

I'm not expecting anyone to have the answer and I will be seeing my GP and consultant - however I would love to hear other people's experiences.

Thanks 

N xxx

Hi Nellie 

i I had a trachelectomy in February as well and mine can be a bit on and off. I got put back on the pill afterwards (which I know isn't always the case but my consultant allowed it) so I pretty much know exactly when my periods should be. However I do get a bit of spotting randomly  while still taking my pills. Unfortunately i think  is just the op which sets everything askew! 

Best of luck with trying  I hope you get some wonderful news  soon :) X

Hi Nellie, i have the same - after my operation in july i had three periods, and every time 2 days before i had this type of spotting. No doctor explained to me why, pls share if you'll know:)

Hi ladies I have radical tracheotomy Jan 2012. My periods was ok after and nothing unusual or different to before my operation. However since June 2014 my periods have been all over the place. They can range from 27 days to 43 days and I also have been getting every now and then spotting in between periods and also old blood a few days before and after my period. My consultant doesn't really know what's going on but said I need to be referred to a gynaecologist as it could be hormonal. I have also been trying to get pregnant now since March 2014 and nothing. I'm currently waiting for results from bloods scans and a laracoscopy and dye test. Wishing you lots of luck 

Hi Nellie,

I've always been regular as clockwork but since my trach I've had the same thing, spotting normally 3-5 days beforehand. I've discussed it with my consultant and had it checked out, he said it was nothing to be concerned about. He did say it could be hormonal, MRI showed nothing.

Good luck!

xx

Hi Nellie

Unfortunatelly I can't give you answers as to why this happens but it might make you feel a bit better to know that you are not the only one. I have heard from a few ladies now that have similar symptoms (to varying degree). I can also offer my own experience. I had trachylectomy in March 2013. I missed a period before and one after the procedure. After that, all hell broke loose. I started bleeding extremely heavily with clots and bright red blood for about 14 days each month. For few months the consultants thought it might be infection, but it wasn't. It was just an extreme case of what you are having. Eventually they just told me they don't know what it is and hope it would settle down on it's own. I was bleeding heavily for about 7 days before my period, then about 5 days of period and about 2 days after. So on an avarage month about 14 days, which was very depressing at the time. It got so bad I had to wear maternity pads if i wanted to go out. Most women I have spoken to had only light bleeding or spotting before their period and it seems to stop for them after about 6-12 months. My bleeding has improved and 2 and a half years later, I now only have some spotting / light bleeding for about 4-5 days before my period and about 4 days of period. Which is not ideal but better then before. All my consultants have told me they don't know why this is happening. I have now been trying to conceive for about 2 years and still no luck. I'm not sure if the pre-period bleeding has any effect on fertility since there is no one to explain it to me. I'm hoping it will stop one day or at least that i will get to understand what it is. Since it happens to a few ladies after trachylectomy I would assume that it is some sideeffect of the procedure. I just wish all the doctors got the information together and done some research to help us understand. And maybe one day they will. I want to leave you with some hope - I think since your case seems to be one of the lighter spotting ones, there is a fair chance it will stop for you very soon. Wishing you all the luck with conceiving xxx

Thanks so much ladies - it's good to know i'm not alone in this!!!!  I think I am going to ask for hormone tests to make sure there isn't anything else going on and to be on the safe side! I don't want anything slowing down our baby making efforts as we already have an uphill struggle on our hands.  I have to say that I am trying not to worry about it too much and am just enjoying being cancer free and in a position to attempt having a baby.  I pray for it everyday but aside from that i'm trying to get on as normal. 

If I manage to get to the bottom of what is happening or get any insights I will be sure to let you all know.  

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has had these issues and gone onto conceive....??

N x

Hi hun, I am also experiencing this which is very disheartening as I'm trying to conceive. Did you find out the cause or find a solution. I'm only 10 months post trach but would love to hear any advice etc. 

Thanks, holly xx