So nervous...

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, my name is Meghan (Meg) and I am 21 years old. I have just been told that I have cc and it has come as

an absolute shock to the system.

I am due to go for a colposcopy on 21/10 and have been sent through as requiring an urgent colposcopy with loop(?) treatment and possible cone biopsy whilst I am there depending on what the gynae can see. I have a few

questions if anyone wouldn't mind answering if possible. . ,

1. Does the colposcopy/loop treatment hurt a lot?

2. What is the recovery time after a colposcopy?

3. How long before you get the results or is everyone different?

Thank you so much in advance,

Meg xxx

Hi,

how did you find out u have cc? Or do u mean CIN? The colposcopy LLETZ are usually done to find out if it is cc through a biopsy. If it is cc, I am sorry.

the LLETZ is not painful, you will feel tense and uncomfortable but once LA in u won't feel a thing. You might bleed a little afterwards for a few days but will be able to walk out straight after.  I was able to go on a camping holiday the next day with lots of cycling but I know a couple of people on here have needed a day or two after the LLETZ.

results seem to depend on the result. 3-6 wks seems average unless diagnosed. I was 2wks 3days and straight back to see a consultant, not a letter.

hope this helps a little. Do read through posts already on the colposcopy section on here.

good luck don x

So sorry to hear your going through this Meghan. 

Did they not have to perform a colposcopy & biopsies to diagnose CC though? 

I was under the impression biopsys was the only way to find out.

I'm guessing youl meet an oncologist in the next few days who Gould be able to answer all of your questions and give you a treatment plan. 

Keep us all posted 

Johanna

xxxx

Hi Meg, the colposcopy shouldn't hurt it may just be uncomfortable. Lletz is usually pain free mine was i never even felt the injection. It may take ady or two if you have Lletz to recover. Results usually take between 2 to 6 weeks depending on the clinc. My colposcopy results took 5 weeks n my Lletz results took just under 4 weeks. Good luck Sharon xxx

Hi thank you for your replies, the doctor diagnosed me from my smear test the nurse had obviously seen it and got him in hence why we already know it's cc.  The colposcopy and lletz(?) he said was to find out how advanced the cancer is. 

Thank you all so much for your replies xx

so sorry to hear that Meg.....Thats absolutely devastating :-( As the other ladies have said the Colposcopy is more uncomfortable than anything else, but not painful. I didnt even feel my biopsies. With regards to the Lletz or cone...you may be offered a general as they may need to take a larger area - especially if you bleed like me. 

Let us know how you get on and big hugs xxx

Hi Meg,

I'm so sorry sweetie. It must be a massive shock for you, especially as you are so young. Im pretty sure they already knew from my smear results that I already had CC but didn't confirm until after I had my MRI. So they definatly knew before I had a biopsy. The biopsy confirmed the tumour type. After the smear  I then went for my colposcopy and they then sent me for an MRI followed by a cone biopsy under general anesthetic. The Colposocopy did not hurt at all. They can get a really good look at you through the camera and apply the solution to show up your cells. This didn't hurt.  It was actually better than a smear for me and more comfortable in a chair and the nurses were super lovely.  If you do need the cone under GA then just to let you know that did not hurt either and I preferred that.  Once they have done all of this they will know what stage you are at and will work on getting you a treatment plan. Hopefully it's really early stages. I have everything crossed for you but please remember that cervical cancer is really treatable. 

It's awful you gave to go through this especially at your age. We are all here to support you so let us know if you have any questions. Take care lovely. Tess xxx