SMILE

Hi

i have recently had LLETZ for CIN 2.  Results have shown CIN 3 and SMILE.  Anyone have any idea what this is?

GLANDULAR VARIANT LESIONS

SMILE, first described by Park et al in 2000,27 is an HPV-associated intraepithelial columnar cell neoplasm that is thought to arise from the reserve cells of the transformation zone. Morphologically, SMILEs are composed of immature stratified cells that, although appearing similar to SILs, display intracytoplasmic mucin or cytoplasmic vacuoles that separate the cells in the mid to lower layers of the epithelium (Figure 6). Overt gland formation, seen in typical AIS, is not found in SMILE. The most consistent feature of SMILE is the spacing of nuclei by mucin, which can be highlighted with a mucicarmine stain. SMILEs are commonly associated with HSIL, AIS, adenocarcinoma, squamous carcinoma, and adenosquamous carcinoma. The natural history of these lesions has not been fully elucidated, but it has been reported that lesions may recur in the form of SIL or AIS. As is the case with AIM and ED, SMILE should not be used as a stand-alone term in surgical pathology reports. Either AIS or adenosquamous carcinoma in situ can be used, depending on the context and the pathologist's preference.

This is a paragraph of information I found about smile, I dont know much about it myself but appears there is a lot of information on the internet about it. What i can gather from this paragraph is it originates from a certain cell type and is usually associated with another abnormality such as cin (cell change to squamous cell cc) and cgin (cell change before adenocarinoma cc develops) and can also occur alongisde adenosquamous which is a mixture of the two.

hope this helps

charlene xx

apologies for all the abreviations but from many hours googling after my diagnosis thats what I get from it :)