Smear while bleeding?

I’ve been bleeding now for 12 weeks. Sometimes it’s heavy, sometimes light and sometimes a brown discharge. It smells a bit off. I have almost constant lower back pain which I had put down to being overweight.

Last year my periods went funny. I would have one that would last 3 weeks then nothing for a few months. Then I would bleed again for a few weeks.

Now im bleeding all the time. My GP had tested my hormones about 6 months ago and said they were a bit out of whack. He told me to retest again in 6 months with a view to starting HRT (I’m 44). I’ve had a scan which ruled out fibroids and polyps.

I had an abnormal smear some years ago. I had a punch biopsy and was told to have a smear:

every 6 months for 2 years (clear)

yearly for 3 years (clear)

Back to yearly smears (first result abnormal again and told I tested positive for HPV)

I was sent for a colposcopy. They removed the area of concern. I received a letter that I was to return to 3 yearly smear tests. I am due my test this month but I’m bleeding too much to be able to have it done. I’m worried sick that there is something wrong and I won’t find out because they can’t test me.

Has anyone been tested while bleeding? Has this happened to anyone else and what was the outcome? I am so worried just now and can’t seem to think about anything else. I was due to see my GP this week but I’m not well and wasn’t able to go.

Hi Shelly,

i dont think I can help much but I had a colposcopy whilst I was having a period. They managed to have a look at my cervix & take a biopsy without any problems but I don't know if this would be the same case with a smear. Probably worth giving the surgery a call and ask them. Good luck. Xx

Thanks Sam.  I will pop in and see my GP next week.  xx