Smear test with Vaginismus

Hi All

i apologise if this is the wrong place but I was hoping someone could give me some advise. After 6 years of going to various gps and clinics I've finally been diagnosed with vaginismus At the age of 26.

I've never had penetrative sex as I find this impossible but I am now on the waiting list for couples counselling with my VERY understanding husband.

Anyway, about 6 months I ago developed huge anxiety about the fact I xould have cervical cancer. I've never had a smear and the doctor have advised me to wait for my counselling but I'm not sure how long an appointment could take to come through. it's got to the point where the worry about it is keeping me up at night.

Just when I thought my anxiety was going, today I noticed a small amout of bleeding which has put me right back at square one.

I went to the doctors last week and he advised me that they would attempt a smear using a virgin speculum. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

I just know that the 2 mins of intense pain will be worth it to find out and I might finally be able to sleep!

does any one have any tips for coping with a smear if you're a virgin/have vaginismus?

didnt know who else to ask as I keep this very private.

Thabk you for reading!

Hello,

I'm sorry for what you're going through, I think it's more common than realised. I'm glad you have support from your husband.

First of all, if you've never had sex your risk of CC would be very low. However I appreciate you would like to be tested for peace of mind. There are different size speculums, including very small ones. I haven't had a relationship now for 6 years and so I find examinations very diffcult and painful, as effectively things do 'tighten up' if you're not sexually active for a while. 

There isn't any easy anser. Perhaps try the small speculum with an experienced nurse. They occasionally will need to do internal exams with virgins, so the smalleset speculum is very small. If this doesn't work, perhaps ask for a gynae referral. They may be able to do the smear under GA if there really is no other way, although the doctor said to me smears are easier in the chair they use for examinations like colposcopy. The most uncomfortable part (in my opinion) is when they open the speculum up once it's in, but if they do it slowly then it's bearable, and I think about something else while they're doing what they have to do to distract myself from the discomfort. It doesn't take long, and if you can cope with the speculum going in, that's defintiely the hardest part. 

I wish you all the best, and please feel free to PM me if you'd like to.

Take care x

Hello, are you still active on this site? It would really help if I had someone to chat to about vaginismus! 

Thank you