smear results

Hi i just wanted to ask a question really. i havent had a smear test for seven years suffer with bad health anxiety but finally plucked up the courage to go last tuesday. I just wanted to know what the letter says when it comes if there was a abnormality as im a little bit scared in case it say there is cancer in the letter or can they not tell that unless you went for futher investigations. because the last smear i went nfor they only got in touch if there was something wrong. thanks for reading just really nervous.

hi Donna, I had a letter come through 6 days after my smear saying I had severe dyskaryosis. not sure if they can tell just from a smear whether it is cc.
Em

Hi Donna, 

Try not to worry, there won't be the mention of cancer in your smear result letter. The letter usually says if there are any abnormalities at all or if you need further treatment.. Abnormality does not mean cancer either. 

It's hard not to worry but the letter is very clear about what you need to do next, usually it's clear and you get another invitation in 3 years. If there's any doubt they'll keep a check and you'll get another smear in a few months. This is no bad thing, hope you get a clear result. 

Liane X

Hi Donna, 

Try not to worry, there won't be the mention of cancer in your smear result letter. The letter usually says if there are any abnormalities at all or if you need further treatment.. Abnormality does not mean cancer either. 

It's hard not to worry but the letter is very clear about what you need to do next, usually it's clear and you get another invitation in 3 years. If there's any doubt they'll keep a check and you'll get another smear in a few months. This is no bad thing, hope you get a clear result. 

Liane X

Hi Donna,

First of all WELL DONE on being able to overcome your anxiety and having a smear. It's not easy for everyone, and anxiety can make things 10 times harder. The waiting is difficult, hopefully you'll get your result soon, in my area it takes about 2 weeks to get a letter.

When I had my first abnormal result my GP actually called prior to the letter reaching me, just to explain and to try to put me at ease. Each abnormal result I've had has something like "Your result shows signs of abnormality" and would ususally say something like mild, moderate or severe changes. If there was anything found it will say what will happen next. With mild changes they can go back to normal by themselves, if it's moderate or severe you are likely to get an appointment for the colposcopy clinic. I think it would be extremley rare for them to pick up a cancer on a smear, but I guess it's possible as the path lab will be looking for cell changes and should be able to tell if the cells are cancerous. If there was abnormality it would be much more likely to be at the pre-cancerous stage.

All the best, let us know how you get on x

Hi thanks all for your repLys I have had my results and they are normal which is good news. I realise that I am lucky after not going for years for test , but I would just like to say that it is all thanks to the lovely ladies on here all going through there own difficult times but still have been so kind and encouraging to me yo go for my smear. I will never miss a smear again

Hi,

Just wanted to say I'm really pleased for you that your result was normal, it's great news. Now you've been though the experience and know what's involved, hopefullly it will make it a little easier next time.

All the best to you.