Smear & Colposcopy whilst on...

Hi Ladies, just after some advice.

I started my period yesterday, ever since going through a misscarriage and d&c last year my cycles have changed and are much heavier than they used to be.

The reason for this post is because I am booked in for a repeat smear & colposcopy on June24th and will more than likely be on, I called the colposcopy unit and they've said if I am it will be fine and they can still continue, as its hard enough to get a appt if you cancel as they are really booked up.

The thought of this makes me feel very uncomfortable though, so just wondered if anyone else has had this and wether or not it was more uncomfortable, I imagine I'll be a lot more tense than usual :-( 

Hi Peachmelba,

My period came the day before my colposcopy was due (it was a few days earlier than expected). I also rang the department and attempted to rearrange but they still wanted me to come in. I felt uncomfortable about it but the consultant performing it was really lovely and the nurses made me feel at ease. The main problem was the bleeding kept on washing away the solution so she just took some biopsies (Still waiting for the results). I was dubious about it as it said in the leaflet sent with smear results not to go during period but the doctors know best after all. The only real plus side (for me) was I didn't overly notice the additional bleeding from biopsies. 

Hope it all goes well for you. X

Thank you, I think it's probably more me worrying, just makes me cringe somewhat and the thought of it isnt very pleasent. 

Yes I had been told at previous smears that if I was due on they wouldn't see me, so did think I would have to reshedule as had to in the past.

Also this is a very important appointment for me, been waiting over 8 weeks now for this appt, as needed a second opinion, dont want anything to jeopardise it this time round :-( 

I guess if it could hinder results they wouldnt agree to do it, so will keep that in mind.

Hope your results dont take too long to come through xx 

It definitely is cringe worthy. It such an intimate part of the month and having to be exposed to others  whilst having a period isn't fun but in the long run, it's far better to have the reassurance/help of others who could be potentially saving your life is by far a lot better. I closed my eyes during the whole procedure attempting to focus on something else (possibly chocolate & wine). 

I'm coming back as a man in my next life ;-) 

Oh most definitely I would never let it put me off having it done :-) And im sure it will be worse for them than me really, even though they are used to it. 

Chocs and wine sound like a great idea to think of whilst getting me through, im not a stranger to internal examinations, after having 2 children and 3 miscarriages ive been poked and prodded alot, just never something you can get used too I guess.

Haha, sounds rather appealing ;-) x 

Oh most definitely I would never let it put me off having it done :-) And im sure it will be worse for them than me really, even though they are used to it. 

Chocs and wine sound like a great idea to think of whilst getting me through, im not a stranger to internal examinations, after having 2 children and 3 miscarriages ive been poked and prodded alot, just never something you can get used too I guess.

Haha, sounds rather appealing ;-) x