Smear audit results in

Went to see my diagnosing consultant today who gave me the results from my smear audit. It turns out that there were potentially missed chances to pick it up earlier. My smears in 2009 and 2012 both showed borderline changes when they were reviewed, but came back as negative at the time. Then when I became symptomatic, I was treated last Jan for an ectropion so he admitted he might have missed it then. I’m telling myself it changes nothing now and when I spoke to him, I felt OK, but then I walked out and it hit me, that I could have avoided the last year, surgery etc. So I had a cry on the phone to hubby. I feel quite angry but there’s really no point as it’s all done now.

Hi there.

i also discovered that my smear was read incorrectly back in 2011. It is pretty horrendous to hear that news. Strangely though I was also a little relieved. I couldn't understand how cancer could have grown in just 3 years between smears! The thought of that was terrifying and more scary to me than a misread smear test. 

However it is unfair and you have every right to be angry and upset. I was too.  Just try not to dwell on it for too long, it will drive you mad! Xxxxx