Six Month Follow Up - Granular Tissue?

I had my six month follow up smear after a LLETZ for CGIN in August today. That was my second LLETZ - the first one in July was unclear at the very edge of one margin. The second one was clear.

I mentioned to the nurse that I was concerend about slight bleeding after sex, as this wasn't something that had ever happened to me before the treatment. After she did the smear, she said that she had seen what was causing this "a slightly granular area". She then went off to fetch a colposcopist, who had a further rummage about. I heard the nurse say that she hadn't been able to get a sample from inside the cervical canal, so I think that's what the colposcopist was there for (no one really explained). The colposcopist then said "there was a bit of tissue - we'll send it to the lab because we always do".

The nurse then said I would have to go back in six months to see the consultant (I knew this would be the plan before I went in today),  "unless the smear result shows you need to come sooner". She did say that the fact that I got clear margins in August was a hopeful sign for a clear result this time.

So - granular tissue. Does this mean anything to anyone? Is it just a bit of scar tissue? Should I be worried? I can only find reference to it in connection with post-hysterectomy situations!

Hiya :-)

It was your mention of post-hysterectomy situations that suggested to me that granular tissue is related to scar tissue in some way, so I looked it up and got this from wikipedia;

Granulation tissue is new connective tissue and tiny blood vessels that form on the surfaces of a wound during the healing process. Granulation tissue typically grows from the base of a wound and is able to fill wounds of almost any size.

I know I always tell people not to Google but it is OK to Google for somebody else :-)

Be happy

Tivoli

I've had granulation tissue on and off since my cone biopsy.  Its part of the healing process but sometimes wounds can get stuck in the granulation phase and often need some cauterisation to get rid of it and get back into the normal healing pattern.  To be honest it can be a bit of a pain in the arse, but in the majority they can get rid of it fairly easily and its more annoying than anything.  Its good they are testing it and do ask them to treat it next time, if it doesn't go away on its own.

Mine has hung around because I have other medical problems that effect how I heal, but that is very unusual. 

take care xx