Should I have a hysterectomy

Hi

i am new to this forum and am very confused, I started my journey with an abnormal smear in Nov 2010, result was severe abnormalities. I had a loop biopsy which confirmed CIN 3 and low grade CGIN in November followed by another large loop in Feb 2011 for the CGIN. My follow up smear was inadequate and since then have had 6 smears with 4 being inadequate and 2 being normal. Routine smear and colposcopy last month showed abnormalities again. the consultant who carried out the colposcopy said that a third loop would be compromising so a hysterectomy would be the best option. I am 34 and have 2 beautiful boys and my family is complete.

when I returned to see the consultant last week with what I thought would be to talk through a hysterectomy he said we could try another loop!! This was not the consultant I saw at my last smear and he has never examined me. I have seen 3 different consultants and each say different things!

my colposcopy nurse told me the reason they get inadequate smears is because there is not a great deal of cervix and the opening to my womb is extremely narrowed. My question is am I just delaying the inevitable and will have a hysterectomy anyway. I am so fed up with 3 to six monthly smears and regular inadequates and then biopsies for more changes. Consultant also said that some consultants would recommend only hysterectomy for CGIn. They have given me a week to make my decision, they are happy to proceed with whichever I want but I just don't know what to do. I wish the medical professionals would decide and agree my treatment. Thanks

Hi Perran,

Sorry to read your story and to see that you seem to have had this decision dumped back on you with so little clear guidance from your medics. I don't think any of us can tell you what you shoudl do, but can I suggest you might try Jo's Ask the Expert service? I have never used it myself, but I have heard others say on here that they have found it helpful.

Best of luck, whatever you decide. x

Thank you rosehip.

I have left 2 messages last week for my colposcopy nurse to call me back as she is the only consistent person throughout this. All of my family including my husband think I should just have a hysterectomy and see the back of the past 2 and a half years. I know that I am really lucky to be so closely monitored and reading your story makes me realise how lucky I am. Thank you for your advice, I will use the ask the medic I think. The reason I think they are putting the decision in my hands is probably due to my age. I am just frustrated that I don't see the same consultant and each has a different view. I am terrified thwilt he continues changes will result in cc and I don't want to take that risk especially as they are unable to monitor effectively the cGIN as this is the part of the smear that returns inadequate most of the time. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Good luck with your follow up.