Should I get the vaxx after HPV dx?

Hi

Thank you for having me here. I was recently diagnosed with HPV with normal cytology. I am almost 44 and never had any problems with smears STIs before now.

I am a qualified nurse and I’ve done as much reading as I can in the last little while about this and believe that it may confer some benefit to me if I have the vaccination now before my smear in 12 months time.

What do people think and what are peoples experience of this?

Thank you :sparkles:

Hello yes definitely have it my gynecologist advised it , it will protect you against any HPV on the vaccine that you have not yet been exposed to and there is also some studies that suggest it may help the inmune system get rid of the active one if you have one. Definitely worth the money. Such a shame is not free for women in general. I am 43 and just finished the 3 injections last November. Gardisil 9 is the latest one.

1 Like

Thank you. I go on Thursday. I don’t mind vaxx or anything but I’m still going to feel ‘dirty’… :pensive:

Great that you are going to get the vaccine. But please don’t feel dirty HPV is everywhere anyone that has sex will most likely test positive at one point . We really need to stop being so hard on ourselves about this. I believe that the fact that men don’t get tested makes this diagnosis a women blaming game but men are also HPV positive they just don’t know it.

3 Likes

Thank you. I know that you’re right but in my heart I say on the train with my head down yesterday thinking ‘everyone knows’… then I felt guilty because I don’t even have abnormal cells, just hpv and so many people have it worse… I can’t stop thinking my husband has cheated and I literally have no one to talk to.

Thank you for having me here :sparkles:

I get you most of us have this thoughts but we really need to try and be super rational about the whole thing or we can end up in a big hole or even break up relationships for no reason at all , if you had more than 1 sexual partner in your life is impossible to know what person was the one that give it to you and I don’t think that matters because the truth is that we all end up with it and most people don’t even realise they have it.
Please be happy that you have no abnormal cells and enjoy your life and partner and don’t give HPV a minute of your time. Take care

2 Likes

Thank you. Intellectually I know it will make sense, but right now it just doesn’t match up to what my heart is feeling-and it’s going to be a long year waiting for the next smear.

1 Like

Thank you for your time and your kind advice. It is very much appreciated X

1 Like