Should I expect to develop CC if my HPV is persistent?

Hi all,

1st time poster!

im 27 and first had abnormal cells in about 2018/19, which then became CIN3. I was treated with cold coagulation in March 2020 but still now HPV positive with abnormal cells. However my doctor is wanting to postpone LLETZ for another 6 months to "wait and see because there were no visible signs of concern during colposcopy".

Everything I read online seems to think that having HPV for 2 years is a "long time" and they don't really talk about the what the realistic likelihood of cancer is after that time - so as I'm sitting at 3 years (and longer given this additional "wait and see" period) I feel like I'm doomed. 

I can take the bad news but I'd just rather know - if it's been peristent for more than 2 years and I've not responded to treatment, I'd rather prepare for bad news if that's what all these internet guides are suggesting! Has anyone gone past 2 years and been okay?

I don't think you usually develop cancer in such a short period. It might happen but very unusual which is why they leave people of my age 5 years. 
It's often the case, and certainly is in mine, that it's not very clear how long you have had it. Could be anything from 4.5 years to 18 months in my case. Or very possibly even less. 
I think also the progression can be a little unpredictable which is why you are monitored and any cancer would be super early and easily treated. I also think your doc isn't worried about you too much( neither was mine really).

Just a thought 

did they do a biopsy in the last colposcopy?

Hi 

thanks for your replies :)

they actually didn't do a biopsy at the second colposcopy, but did a smear as it was due. Both times I've been told that everything looks perfect visually, only to then be told otherwise once results are through.

ive also has a lot of cancelled and delayed appointments due to Covid waiting times, so I think that's why time is on my mind!

Absolutely 

my treatment was the very latest allowed which I always think makes it more anxiety provoking. Although it equally could mean they don't think I am priority and risks are low 

Hello Everkohlie

It might be worth asking the Expert about this or phoning the helpline. The important thing is to keep up with your appointments and follow the medical advice of your team. It's also worth focussing on managing the stress of it all. From what I can gather not everyone with HPV goes on to develop cancer but I think even doctors don't know for sure and that's why they keep a close eye on anyone who has persistent HPV so that they can catch cell changes early on - the screening programme is abput prevention but it is stressful when you find yourself here! Disclaimer - I am not medically qualified - I have just gathered this information from here. Be kind to yourself and talk to someone about your worries. Have you been assigned a CNS? Wishing you all the best

A x