Sex painful still a year after LLETZ/LEEP

Background: 1st smear 2017, HPV+ and low grade changes. No treatment after colposcopy - put back on 3 year recall.
2nd smear end of 2020, still HPV+ and high grade changes
Colposcopy and LLETZ/LEEP treatment for CIN2 January 2021.

Bleeding and recovery wasn’t too bad. Left it 2 months to have sex, but sex was and remains a year later different and less enjoyable than before. Sex drive has gone through the floor too, I assume because of this - psychologically perhaps.

Without being too graphic, I’m sure we all know the sudden “ouch” of having one’s cervix accidentally hit in certain positions or if one’s partner is particularly well endowed. Sex now often feels exactly like that without penetration being particularly deep. My treatment was a year ago, and I don’t recall being warned that this might be an issue, just wondering whether I can expect this to ever go back to normal?

I have had a 6 month smear and another colposcopy in the meantime as am still testing positive for the HPV. I didn’t think to mention it at that point because I thought perhaps things were just still healing but a year seems too long. I’ve now been put back onto the 3 year recall for screening.

Anyone else experienced similar? And anyone else not managed to kick the HPV even after having the cells removed?

Thanks!

Dear Toothfairy,

Please get in touch with your GP or your nurse about the pain you’re experiencing. It may be related to the operation, but it’s possible that it’s not. It isn’t unusual for there to be scar tissue from a LLETZ but you certainly shouldn’t be sore a year after the op. Was the colposcopy and smear more painful than before? Hope you cash get some answers and sort it out. X

Hi Jacks, thanks for your reply.
The smear was very uncomfortable, more than previous ones, colposcopy was fine but I think it’s because it’s a more ergonomic couch/position and they didn’t actually touch my cervix at the most recent one. Just looked and said everything looked fine then put me back on the 3 year schedule. No risk of it being anything else really- been with my partner 4.5 years.

I’ve moved to a new area and GP I’ve not been to yet, but I’ve got an appointment to have my implant changed later this month so could ask then I suppose.

It’s just getting me down a bit because I miss having sex without worrying about it hurting, and feel bad for my bf as well. I’d definitely have considered delaying treatment/opted for more regular monitoring instead had it been offered, if I’d known this would happen.

Hello
I am also testing positive for HPV after 6 months Lletz my gynecologist said some women just take longer to get rid of it after Lletz and that it normally cleared 1 year after Lletz for a big majority of women and almost all clear it before 2 years. It was very stressful and disappointing when I got my HPV positive results but trying to fight the feeling down about it and keep reminding myself that no cell changes found so all good for now and hopefully my body will manage to get rid of the stupid virus soon. About the sex issues that you are having ,could it be because of the stress of the whole thing ? do you feel that maybe if you would of tested negative you would be a little more relaxed? I am just saying because is affecting me as it does come up in my head when I have sex now and it does put me off a bit sometimes. But maybe is something totally different and I would advise you to ask your GP don’t keep it to yourself maybe there is a medical solution for it. Take care and good luck.

Hi :wave: I’m sorry the alerts wasn’t good. I’ve never felt my own cervix. Everything seems to seem same in that area. I have Vulvodynia and sometimes wonder if it’s bladder. I wonder if it’s worth you being checked to see if healing has gone well. You’re not on your own, due to V, I’m scared of anything in that area. Here if you ever want to talk, I understand what vulva pain feels like X

Lettz not alerts, thes phones are too trigger happy Xx

1 Like

Hi Toothfairy,

I had my first smear in May 2018 which came back hpv positive and with abnormal cells, colposcopy showed high grade CIN 2 changes and in Oct I had LLETZ treatment. My follow up smear came back the same as the first but my subsequent colposcopy was clear. I was next due for a smear in 3 years (2022). In early 2020 I went to a doctor about experiencing pain during sex and occasionally bleeding. I had 2 clear smear tests but because of my history they sent me to colposcopy. There they found more CIN 2 changes in an awkward to reach area. I had another round of LLETZ, this time under general anesthetic. I’m definitely experiencing less pain now during sex I think though it has taken some months. I still occasionally bleed, I guess I have a pretty sensitive cervix now. I’ve read that some people do experience pain for a while, even years after treatment but I would definitely go to the doctor and talk with them about what you are feeling. Be vocal, keep going back until you feel like things are okay. Talk to your partner too. Mine was my rock through all of this.

Hi i know this is an older post but thought id add.
I had severe abnormalities and had it treated which im reading here was called llets, i read loop cone back then. I was only 23 and its all gone over my head. Anyway they told me they took a fair bit off. After that sex was painful and my yearly smears after where so sensitive and i bleed after each.
My treatment was around 2006, i finally went to the doc yrs later about painful sex and she said there was scar tissue and mentioned about freezing it? Now i wish id paid more attention to details but i declined that offer. But it might be something that you could ask about? I still get pain and its been 16yrs or so.