Sex/barrier method and HPV

I have recently been diagnosed with CIN1 after a borderline abnormal smear and subsequent colposcopy. My cytology was also tested for high risk HPV and was positive, which likely explains the cell changes. Anyway, I am wondering if it is worth me using condoms from now on when I have sex with my partner? He is my only partner. I have the Mirena coil which until now meant we didn't use condoms, and we are living together and getting engaged soon so nothing is likely to change in that regard. Would I be safer to use a condom every time from now on to prevent a return of HPV if/when it clears or would this make little difference? Am I likely to catch HPV again if it clears? 

For now I'm not really in the mood (unsurprisingly!) but I know if I don't face up to it I'll feel anxious about having sex in the future.

Any advice is welcome, thank you in advance. 

Hiya :-)

Sounds like a question for a family planning clinic to me. I'm not sure if anyone else here can answer that one for you, I can't but I didn't want to read-and-run.

Be lucky

Tivoli

I asked my nurse this and she said it's likely he would have it to and to Carrie on as normal 

Thank you, that's really helpful :)

Hi, 

i may be wrong and you should always check with a medical professional, but I'm sure I read somewhere that condoms can't guarantee HPV won't be transferred if it's there. my understanding is that it's a naturally occurring thing that you can have anyway, but like I say, I could be wrong. 

K xx

Hi, 

i may be wrong and you should always check with a medical professional, but I'm sure I read somewhere that condoms can't guarantee HPV won't be transferred if it's there. my understanding is that it's a naturally occurring thing that you can have anyway, but like I say, I could be wrong. 

K xx

hi

again I will stress that this is not medical advice, but from what I understand you have already passed the HPV virus back and forth so you are both carriers. Men do not show obvious symptoms unless it is a certain strain of hpv. There is no current test to detirmine if men are carriers of most strains of HPV.  

It can take a women's body up to 2 years to rid the body of an HPV flare up. Most of the time it lays dormant. But at any time it can flare up again.

there is also studies that indicate having a hormonal iud (not copper) such as a mirena makes it harder for the body to clear up the HPV.  I would ask your dr his opinion on this as maybe a copper iud might be better suited for you. 

As for sex, i would carry on as usual but would be very careful not to miss a smear or a treatment. 

Good luck. Hopefully that helps you at least The smallest amount.