Sex after radical hysterectomy

Hi

When do you think it's safe to have sex again? 

I'm 6 weeks post op next week. I've read conflicting advice saying anywhere from between 4-8 weeks. And my consultant said 6 weeks. But I'm worried as I haven't had anyone check that the vaginal cuff has healed ok.

I am keen to get back to it, but don't want to do any damage! 

I found it painful tbh, plenty of sylk! there's a bit of spotting at first, so if that happens don't panic! 

my oncologist told me to just get drunk and get on with it! 

2 years on and i'm getting there! 

xx 

I was advised to wait 10 wks just to make sure everything was healed up , silk lube is definatly the best I've tried , the first few times are definatly different but just relax as much as you can , it's just a case of trying out some new positions and taking it slow , hope you get on ok , melissa x x

Thanks for the advice. I will stock up on the lube! Not sure about the getting drunk though as the last time I had alcohol I tried to go to sleep on the pavement...

I feel that 6 weeks is probably a bit early. I think I might give it another couple of weeks. The problem is my husband has it in his head that 6 weeks on the dot is when i'm going to be fully functional - bless him. 

I have visions of my innards all falling out or something if i'm not fully healed (too much googling).

xx

Six weeks is the normal recommendation. But I think you should be the boss! I managed 11 weeks after exenteration with a brand new vagina. My surgeon was proud of me!!

Karen x 

Wow, I think 11 weeks with a brand new vagina is very brave!  I think im being a bit of a wuss. I dont know how much shorter it is or anything. I want to know... But then I dont want to know.....

xx

Only one way to find out!!

Remember vaginas are stretchy. Big enough to go over a baby"s head. They respond well to exercise!

Karen x 

This will probably contain too much information but here goes. I was literally gagging for it from about 3 weeks so after 4 weeks we had  as the americans call it outercourse without penetration. This proved that all the externals worked. Then at 6 weeks on the dot with a bottle of sylk we had very slow gentle sex. We haven't looked back haha. So just go slow and gentle use lube and remember you are in charge xxx

Not too much information at all Cheryelm. We also checked the externals worked first!

So last night we gave penetration a go. The earth didn't move, but neither did my vaginal cuff explode, so I would say it was a success. It felt slightly uncomfortable, but i think that's more to do with me not being very relaxed. I can't say it was the most erotic experience, it wasmore of a functional "lets get this done and out the way".

I'm sure the experience will improve as i relax more and worry less.

xx