Severe dysk + ? glandular

Hi this is my first post hello to all!
Ive had my cervical screening results back and it shows severe dyskarosis and ? glandular abnormality. I hav colposcopy next week and im very scared. I hate getting my smear done and im worried about what they are going to do at colp. Does anyone know if I will get a LLETZ right away or just a punch bx? or is it a wait and see scenario? im extremely anxious and wonder why all my prev smears hav been normal and then suddenly this? Am i worrying unecessecarily? Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Vikki

Hi Vikki

Having normal smears then an abnormal one is not that unusual, I'm afraid. I made it to the grand old age of 44 with clear smears all the way, then bam! CIN2 and high risk HPV.

The colposcopy is not too bad, not that different from a smear really. Many people have said that they find it easier than the smear, no doubt because the person doing it does this all day and is very, very practised at it. The nurses are lovely, very kind and they will do all that they can to put you at ease.

Whether they do a LLETZ treatment on the day or not depends on the practises of your clinic/hospital. Some treat on the day, some will get you back for another appointment. If they take biopsies, they will probably call you back later as they will want to have the biopsy results in order to determine the best treatment.

At least you have your colposcopy soon, so you won't have too long to wait before you know more. I would recommend asking any questions that you have of the doctor who performs the colposcopy. Mine was very good and was happy to explain more when I asked.

Best of luck next week, hope it all goes well.

E