second colpscopy yesterday

hi ladies,

I went for my colpscopy yesterday, and they took biopsies, no treatment that day. i am not overly worried as the last time they treated me there and then.

My issue is the doctors that have treated me both times have been so unsympathic, that has left me feeling upset. i am 40years old, never missed a smear, no issues up until october 2013. i dont drink, i probably get more exercise than most people because of my job, however i do smoke. the doctor even said to me this was to blame for my abnormal cells?????? and that if i gave up smoking then i would not need colpscopys. unbelievable!!! i am so upset, and feel why am i bothering to put myself through this, it is bad enough having to go through these procedures without having the doctor making you feel like it is your fault.

ladies i am so sorry for the rant, you all have been loverly. has anyone else been made to feel like this? or been told smoking is to blame for the abnormal cells?

Hi Marlie,

It's awful you've been made to feel like that! I didn't have anyone who spoke to me like that, my nurse at my Colposcopy just didn't say anything at all. The two nurses I had stood with me were lovely but they had no idea what was going on and nobody could tell me anything about what they'd found etc.

It's horrible that they said that to you about the smoking because i'm sure from what i've read that's not true. The cells become abnormal due to hpv and that is sexually transmitted. It's then up to your immune system to fight off the hpv as there is no cure. Smoking is likely to have some effect on your immune system but it is not responsible for why the abnormal cells are there at all.

Hopefully you won't have to go back again but if you do maybe you should request a different doctor or see if you can attend elsewhere.

Hope all goes well for you xx

hi fiona,

i no, the other doctor the last time was not much better. they dont give you any information or sympathy, it is degrading enough to have to go through this. i hope i dont have to go back, but if i do, i think i will go somewhere else.

thank you for replying. much love.xx

Hi Marlie

I was like you, went for every smear test, no abnormal results, ive been stopped smoking for over a year, now i get an abnormal smear lol, so if i was you i would keep smoking haha.

You are right though about information, when i went for the biopsies the nurse who took them got me all worried making out there was something wrong, even when she phoned with my results she still wasnt happy even though i was told i had CIN 111 but no evidence of cancer, but i had something on my cervix, i went for lletz treatment last thursday, the doctor i got was asian, im not racist, but this nurse never explained anything to me, apart from when she was away to start treatment she said "you may bleed if you hemorrhage we will give you a blood transfussion, "nice" lol,

When i asked her if she saw the "thing on my cervix" she replied "its gone"

So i will just have to wait until my results come thru, but they should consider peoples feelings when treating you,

hi ally, it is sad i am not alone in feeling like this, i wish they would be more sympathic, and kind, we are all vulnerable being in this situation, i just wish they would realise this. i may consider giving up smoking, but not at the moment. lol :) much love and hugs.xx

Hi

Thats not good that you have been treated that way, I have never smoked in my life and had abnormal cells, im not saying smoking doesnt help but it is not the cause either, I was lucky as the nurses couldnt of been any nicer and at stressful times like that you need understanding caring support, xx

Hi

Thats not good that you have been treated that way, I have never smoked in my life and had abnormal cells, im not saying smoking doesnt help but it is not the cause either, I was lucky as the nurses couldnt of been any nicer and at stressful times like that you need understanding caring support, xx