Screening Ended

I’m 64 and just had colposcopy results High Risk HPV no abnormal cells.
Sad as my MDT have decided to refer me back to my GP now and screening for me is now ended.
No support only signs to look for if I have cervical cancer.
I’m so anxious I could cry all day.
I feel because I’m Old it doesn’t matter!
No advice as to where I can go privately to get self help. Any advice would be greatly received.
:cry:

1 Like

Hi Caz

Sorry you are feeling so anxious. It’s really not great that the NHS has put you in this situation without any support.

However, I think there is a lot that is good about your situation (see my back story to understand why I might take that view).

The good news is that you don’t have abnormal cells, you are motivated to keep getting tested because you know your HPV status and you’ve found lovely Jo’s for reliable support and information.

Self help wise you can keep any eye on your HPV status by purchasing HPV self sampling kits on line.

There are a lot of private clinics that offer smear tests. You can easily find them by googling on ‘private smear tests’ and include the name of the town you live in or a nearby town - Nuffield and Bupa are well known reliable health organisations so you might decide you prefer to attend one of their clinics. Looking through the websites of clinics and maybe contacting them prior to making a decision will also help inform your choice.

I’m also 64y and I think it’s too young for NHS cervical screening to end, as do some other older ladies on this forum - it’s good you’re here to add another voice to this topic.

x

3 Likes

HI Jazza
Thank you so much for your reply, do you think is it worth asking my GP? Or the Colposcopy team?Or am I wasting my time?
I’m not a medical professional but I know the BMJ have written a paper on this. I am going to ask a GP friend of my daughter if she can get me a copy of it.
I haven’t looked into self tests. But will look into it now, I think my head went into panic mode.
Why do these letters drop on your doormat on a Saturday.

1 Like

Hi Caz

From being on this forum for a good while I know that getting the news about being HPV positive causes a lot of anxiety for many; there is so little education about it.

I’m not sure what the NHS policy is regarding a 64y old with your screening results but you do need to know where to go from here. I think it’s very reasonable that you contact your GP and/or the Colposcopy clinic for further information; I don’t think you would be wasting your time because whatever happens you will learn something.

There’s no rush but it’s good that you want to know more and are being pro-active. I wished I’d done a bit more of that when I gave up on my smear tests age 50y, though I’m pretty sure a HPV positive result would have spurred me on.

x

1 Like

Thank you, spoke to Colposcopy and re assured. But I’m still anxious they cannot answer all y questions. Which HPV variants I have? This is not reported to them.
Why is there no help to boost our immune systems to fight this virus?
So many questions and feels like no answers.

1 Like

Hello Caz19
Just wanted to offer you my support - I am 57 and had my first abnormal screening at the age of 55 so I understand your concerns. Although I am still “in the system” at the moment I am concerned that the UK stop screening at 64/65 - in Denmark and Australia they have raised the age so I suppose it could happen here in years to come - I decided to order an HPV self test from Superdrug this year and paid for a private screening just for my own peace of mind as I didn’t want to wait 3 years between screening in the circumstances. Having said that, I have become more anxious as a result of the shock of realising I may not be as healthy as I thought I was. However, I am quite proactive about my health so referred myself for CBT to help with this. The techniques I have learned and the passage of time have helped me to get the whole thing more in perspective. I am certainly not sleepwalking through my own life any more. There are quite a few of us over 50 on the post “expendable over 50” so if you add a post on there you will meet more of us. Jazza is a tremendous support to everyone on here. Jo’s helpline is also great for a listening ear. Take care A x

1 Like

Thank you so much for this, I will look on that topic and join the conversation.
CBT would be a good idea for me, I’m an over thinker and struggle with anxiety/ panic attacks.
This group is very supportive and helpful. Thanks again
Caz19

1 Like

You’re welcome. The main problem my counsellor identified is dealing with uncertainty. Apparently our brains tend to automatically imagine the worst case scenario. Dealing with facts is much easier. I have been advised to set aside worry time every day. It’s important to keep active and also talk about your worries. Stay away from Dr Google and don’t spend too much time on social media. I hope you manage to reach a better place psychologically. Be kind to yourself. A x

2 Likes

Hi Caz

I second 551’s suggestion that you could call the Jo’s helpline particularly as you are anxious; the helpline was invaluable for me when I first learned of my own diagnosis - I couldn’t think straight as I was so overwhelmed and it made so much difference hearing the voice and talking to someone who could really understand.

In terms of boosting our immune systems to fight the HPV I’m not sure how much evidence there is that diets, supplements etc might have any effect. HPV is only a problem if it causes cancer and for the vast majority (not me) of people it’s a harmless entity that comes and goes or lies dormant forever to remain that way. In this context the main thing is to prevent cervical cancer and so far the evidence is that the most important thing is to keep up to date with smear tests.

The following link is about the risks and causes of cervical cancer: https://www.jostrust.org.uk/information/cervical-cancer/causes-risks

x

2 Likes