Scared xx

Hey all,

I’m writing this to share some of the feelings I have at the moment and to see if anyone can help with keeping me sane! I hope that’s ok.

I had an abnormal smear in June 2015 - was advised mild changes so was told that 6 month follow up smear was all that was needed. Went back in October and was told this smear was abnormal but no details as to what the severity was. I was referred to colposcopy which I had yesterday and they have taken a biopsy. I was quite relaxed going into the colposcopy because I didn’t think that mild changes would have worsened in so short a space of time however the consultant said that the changes were over a large area and advised me he would treat under general anaesthetic and that he would arrange an appointment before even getting the results back.

I asked if the changes were cancerous but he said he couldn’t tell until the biopsy results came back but they looked like they had worsened to possibly moderate. I didn’t feel reassured by him and it almost made me feel that he saw something that he wasn’t prepared to tell me then.

Is it normal for the decision to be made for treatment under general anaesthetic before the biopsy result? Is it significant that he wants to do it under ga as I know it can be just a local. He said the results could be four weeks and I am absolutely scared stiff now that the changes are really severe.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Thank you xx

I know it's easier said than done but please try not to worry too much. The treatment can be done under GA or local but it's common for them to use GA if your changes are over a large area, this is just so they can be thorough and make sure they've got everything. They also offer GA if like me you are particuarly anxious about it.

I haven't had a biopsy at all but my consultant said I am likely to need treatment so I'm almost in the same boat. Don't forget these doctors are very good at what they do, they do so many colposcopies they can near enough grade CIN from looking at it hence mine thinks mine is CIN 2 or 3 when my smear said mild changes. Sounds like yours also thinks CIN 2, hence he is arranging you an appointment straight away as he's confident that's what the biopsy will say. It's no reason to panic, just means they want to do what's best for you and get you booked in and sorted out to save you worrying about it any longer x

Thank you Hannah - it helps a lot to know that I can just get out what I'm feeling here. Just want it to all be sorted and I can go back to not worrying but I fear that may not be for some time :-( 

I hope things go well or you - keep me updated xx 

Hiya

The other thing worth mentioning is that they send off the piece that they remove during the LLETZ treatment as a 'biopsy' too, so not only will you get the results of your original biopsy, but you'll also found out exactly what CIN level the cells they remove are.

The doctors are usually pretty good at estimating the level of any changes they can see, so it's good that yours has referred you straight for treatment rather than making you wait around. Most people say that the waiting is the worst bit, so at least you've been spared some of that.

I had my treatment under GA too. It was fine, and I definitely think that waking up when it's all over is the best way to go!!

E

Hi mogsy 

Can I ask how long did you take to recover as mine was originally booked in 2 weeks time but they had a cancellation so they rang me and offered it to me

Mine is on Monday just worried about Christmas as I have 3 kids the youngest being 10 months x

Hi Sarah

You'll be fine for xmas, don't worry. I had very little pain/discomfort, just took ibuprofen for a couple of days afterwards and then didn't bother. I felt a little bit dizzy/washed out for a couple of days after the anaesthetic. I had mine done on a Friday morning, and was back at work on Monday (I do have a desk job though).

The main thing you'll need to watch, if you experience the same as me, is probably avoid lifting the little'un for a couple of weeks. That was the only thing I found that have me a little twinge inside, so best to avoid picking up anything (or anyone!!) too heavy I think as it probably yanks the bits that are trying to heal.

You will have some discharge I'm afraid, lasted about 4 weeks in my case, but much of that was quite light. The main thing is to follow all of their advice to avoid getting an infection (no baths), since no doubt if you did manage to get one it'd hit right at Christmas ....

Best of luck on Monday, and it really isnt that bad, I promise - and believe me, I am the biggest coward going.

E

Thanks moggsy 

That has helped.....I've just come back from my assessment with the nurse she just went through what will take place and weighed me etc

She said it looks like I have cin1/2 so I guess they want to just remove the abnormal cells to be on the safe side

She said it's just on the surface so I guess that's good....

Yh so basically Monday at 7 am I'm going to have treatment I'm glad I got the cancellation slot as I can't take any more of this its just too much......mentally draining

She requested that I get seen first which was nice of her she said the waiting around for surgary can be quite daunting

I just hope it is what they think it is....I guess that's just the scary part

Good luck on Monday lovely - will be thinking about you and sending positive thoughts. I just hope my results don't take too long and I can get on and have the treatment if needed soon - you are right the waiting is the worse xx 

Hi Sarah

Sounds like you have exactly the same as me then! They did the same for me as I was so scared, I wasnt the first in but I think the second. Also they let me wait in the TV room rather than by the bed on the day surgery ward, as I was freaking out a bit being surrounded by all that medical stuff, and the TV room looked a bit more normal and less hospitally.

I'm sure the results from your LLETZ will confirm what your consultant thought. Mine was absolutely spot on with her assessment of what is looked to be. Try not to worry, it's not too bad and it will soon be over. Best of luck for Monday

E

Thanks guys

I've just had enough of all of this....it's physically and mentally draining.

I know I have not been diagnosed and their are woman on here that are going through soooo much more

However these last week's has really has its toll on me.....anxiety being scared not knowing what's gonna happen not eating sleeping its just too much 

Hopefully it goes well on Monday and I get good results 

Xx

Thanks guys

I've just had enough of all of this....it's physically and mentally draining.

I know I have not been diagnosed and their are woman on here that are going through soooo much more

However these last week's has really has its toll on me.....anxiety being scared not knowing what's gonna happen not eating sleeping its just too much 

Hopefully it goes well on Monday and I get good results 

Xx