Scared witless!

'm going out of my mind with worry.

I’m a 43 year old married mum of one and when getting my coil removed and a new one inserted 2 weeks ago, the DR insisted i book an urgent smear as she could see discolouration, bleeding and said I had an ulcerated cervix.

I booked a smear which was cancelled by my surgery (I last had one in January) and had a call yesterday to advise I am being referred for a colposcopy and to expect an appointment through this week or next.

I’m now petrified I have cervical cancer, particularly as the Dr was able to see so much from plain sight.

My mum and aunt both had cervical cancer and I have had 2 LLETZ procedures in the last 10 years.

I have pretty much no sex drive since having my son 7 years ago, and on the occasions when I do have intervourse it is painful, I bleed and I suffer backache for a few days afterwards.

For the past month or so I have had a smelly discharge, been very snappy and low in mood and am constantly exhausted. I’ve always functioned on 5/6 hours sleep but am now sleeping 11 hours plus weekdays and longer if I am able at weekends. I had chalked this up to the change as I was advised 5 years ago I was perimenopausal. I’m now worried these are symptoms of cervical cancer.

My husband is saying not to worry until after colposcopy but I can’t think of anything else right now. I’m also self-employed so am already worrying about cost of taking time away from work for the colposcopy appointment at least. I remember after the 2 LLETZ procedures I was bleeding quite a bit and cramping badly enough I couldn’t work for a few days afterwards.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Hi @Jacksons1 i have just come across your message which was written a while ago. How did you get on at colposcopy- did your nurse/doctor give you any indication of what the problem might be? Hopefully you have been given some information and your mind is at ease now. There are no many potential gynaecological reasons for your symptoms but we always think of the worst case scenario. Sending you best wishes.