Review of smear tests after diagnosis of CC

Hi everyone. I have received a letter today from my health authority inviting me to a meeting with them as they have reviewed my past smear tests. The letter states this is done automatically in every case of cervical cancer diagnosis. My cancer was none HPV related with all smears coming back as normal for the past 25 years so they have now done a review and want to discuss their findings. Has anyone else had a letter like this post treatment for CC I am now a little worried that they have made a mistake on my past smears or maybe my cancer is after all related to HPV. If not maybe they picked up on abnormal cells :worried: maybe they should have picked up the abnormal cells if not HPV. this letter is kind of worrying. I have rang them today and spoke with the administrator who said she has never seen a letter like this so she will speak with the head gynocologyst in the morning and ring me back. Any ideas :bulb:

Hi lovely I hope you are okay! I was diagnosed with Stage 2b cervical cancer last June, after all my previous smears came back fine my last one was HPV positive and I was having symptoms which I had been to the drs about prior to the smear and numerous times after the smear. I had even been admitted to hospital with sepsis and a pelvic infection and was telling the hospital I believed I had cancer 2 months before my diagnosis,

Anyway when I was told I had CC the dr told me all women who develop cc who have had clear smears are then involved in whats called an invasive smear review where all historical samples are checked over, they told me that if they had no findings and no mistakes they would write to me and advise of such, if findings were made I would be invited in for a meeting to discuss the findings or I could request a copy of the finding in a letter if I didn’t wish to attend a meeting.

If you Google invasive smear review, you will a gov.uk link and it explains the full process very alike to what I have wrote above, I would say there have been findings made that would suggest previous smears were incorrect if they are inviting you in.

When were you diagnosed, I do hope you are now doing okay!

Sending love :heart:

Hi

Thanks for that information. I was diagnosed last June after a lost menapause bleed. I had my last smear in December 2018 and bled really bad. I was at the hospital in 2014 after my smear as they said I had scar tissue from loop treatment I had in the mid 90’s. When I had my smear in dec 2018 they said again it was scar tissue and normal to bleed. Fast forward to June last year and I was diagnosed with meseneohric adenocarcinama stage 2b. Rads and chemo deidmr shodt it but shrank enough for hysterectomy in March. Histology back as good and now cancer free. I could not understand why they didn’t follow up my presumed scar tissue and bleeding both in 2014 and 2018 cervical cancer doesn’t just appear within 2 years and grow to be invasive.

I was told this was being done when I had my 1st appointment after diagnosis with my gynaecologist as all my previous smears had been clear. As of yet ive heard nothing.

Hi. I have just read all the guidance on the gov website and it does say I should have been told at the first appointment this was being done but of course I want informed at all. Apparently we should have also been given a form to complete to say we would like the results :see_no_evil: it also says this process has to be completed within 12 months of diagnosis. I will keep you informed of the outcome of mine. Hope you all good x

1 Like

Ahh jo I am glad you were able to locate the information, I ring my hospital regularly to chase my results. Last November I was told then I had all been collated and had gone out to an independent third party.

I have spoken to some women who had to sign a form and others who didn’t.

Please do keep us updated, when is your meeting with them. I intend on taking my partner along to mine when offered the opportunity, I also don’t know if they will give me a copy of the report but I think I will take a notepad and pen and also request the report.

X