Results

My consultant just called. Lymph nodes in pelvis were clear and tumour was slightly smaller than shown in scans. However, there is a a slight spread (microscopic) to nodes around surounding tissue.  I asked if this means further treatment and he said we will discuss further tomorrow as I'm going to see him. He said it leaves things uncertain.

My heart is broken. I don't think I can cope with any further treatment.  I really don't. 

Oh Tess,

I’m so sorry you’ve had that news. What a lot to take in. Is your appointment early in the day?

I was told I had a microscopic cell in one node but they didn’t recommend any further treatment, which plays on my mind every single day.

Sending you all the very best positive vibes for tomorrow and a massive e-hug xxxx

Oh :frowning: I’m so sorry to hear that Tes! I can’t imagine how you’re feeling right now. I didn’t want to not reply to you, and I know at the moment nothing I can say will make it much better.

I hope your appointment goes ok today… I’ll be thinking of you.

Sending you lots of love & positive vibes
xxxx

Hi Tess - sorry to read this, it must have been a big shock.

I'll be thinking of you today x

Hi ladies,

Thanks again for your support.   Jo, your message really gave me hope.  I went to see my consultant this morning. He said that basically the histology report from my rad hyst showed microscopic cancer cells in the nodes in the surrounding tissue (not the pelvic lymph nodes).  Apparently there are 8 or 9? of these nodes and 2 of mine had the cancer cells. All these nodes were removed. Apparently this spread is very rare as usually these little nodes would not be affected on their own, it almost always spreads to the main lymph nodes too. Then the way forward would be chemo radiation without a doubt. So, because mine have been removed and havent spread to the main lymph nodes I have the choice of further treatment (chemoradiation) or no further treatment. Because this situation is very rare they have very little statistics to work on. So the side affects from further treatment may outweigh any benefit of the treatment.  It would only increase my percentage chance of a cure by a tiny percentage from where I am now. 

My consultant is making me an appointment next week with my oncologist to discuss further as this will be the oncologists area of expertise. Though I already made up my mind. There will be very little benefit to me having further treatment so why put myself through it. 

I feel so much better than I did after my call last night.  I just want the cancer and everything to do with it to bugger off. I want to drive my car again, get back in my skinny jeans, go the pub, go on holiday and get back to work.  I don't want this horrible disease taking up more of my time when quite frankly I could be enjoying myself!

Tess xxx 

Hi Tess,

I just had 1 out of the 7 or something they’d removed on one side that had a microscopic amount in. I was really worried about it but the consultant just said the nodes they’d removed around that node were clear so there’s no reason for concern.

I was like ‘give me more treatment get rid of it all!’ But the consultant just said there was no need, it’s gone. I do worry about it a lot though. I suppose our CC types are different so your oncologist will have the best advice for you.

I like to think I have chemo radiation in my armour just incase I need it in the future to mop anything up!

I’m glad you’re feeling a bit better now, I hope it goes well with the oncologist when you see them too.

xxx

Hi Tess,

Understand what you are saying, but I would encourage you to try to keep an open mind until you've had the meeting with the oncologist.  More info will help you make a better informed decision and get to the best long term outcome.

Nobody wants chemo, and everyone wants their cancer to disappear, but adenocarcinoma is a bit of a tricky bugger and you might, in the end, decide it's best to be absolutely sure. Alternatively if you do decide to end treatment here at least you'll know you based the decision on what was best for you medically.

Hang on in there, you're nearly there! xxx

Thanks ladies. I will defiantly see what the oncologist has to say.  Xxx

Sorry to hear this Tess :(

Your doc is the best person to decide treatment for your specific situation so before you set your mind wait and see what he has to say.

Not sure if its the same thing but I was told I had Lymph vascular space invasion although nodes were clear. My Doc said in some trusts they would recommend chemoradiation but he suggested it was not necessary to worry about it ( as the nodes were clear)

Like others i think thats my safety card if the worst happens......

Good luck with your appointment and try not to worry in the meantime xx

Kath xx

Sorry to hear this Tess :(

Your doc is the best person to decide treatment for your specific situation so before you set your mind wait and see what he has to say.

Not sure if its the same thing but I was told I had Lymph vascular space invasion although nodes were clear. My Doc said in some trusts they would recommend chemoradiation but he suggested it was not necessary to worry about it ( as the nodes were clear)

Like others i think thats my safety card if the worst happens......

Good luck with your appointment and try not to worry in the meantime xx

Kath xx

hi Tess, (been away for a week)

so sorry to hear this, i can imagine that this is the last hurdle once the surgery is complete and you just want to get on with your life again.  but then its like the waiting game again.

big hugs

how are you feeling apart from this?

Hi Kath, thanks for letting me know about your experience.  Like you say the extra treatment will also be a saftey net for me if required.  My appointment with the oncologist is on the 5th August. So not too long to wait I guess.

Pat, I hope you had a lovely holiday. My recovery from surgery has been great. Much better than expected. It's only been 2 weeks and already the swelling has gone down.  My incision marks from the keyhole surgery look like tiny scratches. I'm so impressed, you wouldn't know I had such a serious op. I persuaded my consultant to take my catheter out after 8 days and felt brilliant once that pesky thing was gone. No bladder problems since its removal. I started HRT a week after surgery. I didn't get any menopause symptoms before I started taking the tablets but guess I would have if I delayed it. Early days but the HRT seems fine. I was really worried about it but I've not noticed anything different so far.  The only thing that has bothered me is that I got tonsillitis this week!  After all that can you believe it! The pain from that has been just awful and worse than the surgery!! I have antibiotics now so starting to feel better thank goodness. So just be aware that your immune system will be low after surgery.  I read your earlier post. I hope you get your surgery date confirmed soon. Are you feeling ok about it?

All in all recovery for me has been good. Make sure you do what they tell you to do. Keep mobile, stay hydrated, eat well and rest when you need to. And we are all here for you Xxx 

Tes - that's great to hear that you are feeling good about the surgery and recovery has been easy.  i plan to push for a confirmation of a date on monday with my pre-op, stubbornly thinking of a sit in ;-).  Today i feel ok about it, i have days when i wonder if the diagnosis is correct, i don't feel any different.  i will see how i feel about it tomorrow after the assessment.  kind of dreading getting on the scales after a week of holiday excess!

I know what you mean about being diagnosed and not feeling any different or ill, it's weird! Good luck or tomorrow and let us know how you get on. You deserved a bit of holiday excess so don't worry about the scales! :-) xxx