Results letter contents?

Hi everyone,

I have just had LLETZ treatment for CIN II and I am awaiting results. I wondered if anyone could give me an idea or what the results letter will say? 

Will it usually state if all the abnormal cells have been removed successfully and if so would that mean I would no longer have CIN of any kind? Sorry in advance if this is a silly question. 

Also, if there is any complicated terminology used in the letter that can be explained in a simple fashion? :)

Thank you xx

I thought I'd chip in as no one has answered. I don't think your question but I do think it's really hard to answer. Every hospital has its own protocol and format it will use so no one knows how yours will report it. when you get your letter I'm sure we will all be able to answer any specific questions. It's worth ringing GP a few days before results are due as they often get them far earlier than you do! 

I thought I'd chip in as no one has answered. I don't think your question but I do think it's really hard to answer. Every hospital has its own protocol and format it will use so no one knows how yours will report it. when you get your letter I'm sure we will all be able to answer any specific questions. It's worth ringing GP a few days before results are due as they often get them far earlier than you do! 

Thank you for your reply 365! I guess I just need to wait and see. May well contact gp beforehand - they may be able to explain the results better and answer any questions xx

Hi

As 365 days has said, I think it differs per hospital.

However saying that, I had my results from my smear within a week and it obviously explained what I had (high grade dyskaryosis). I had biopsies taken on 21 August (consultant said potential CIN2/CIN3) and I chased for my results at 3 and 4 weeks and the secretary had been on annual leave for a duration with nothing picked up in her absence. When I eventually got hold of her, she said shes catching up but will send out a letter ASAP. It arrived a few days later but had no content at all, just 'Further to your visit to the colposcopy clinic, the biopsies that were taken have shown some cell changes which require treatment" and that they had booked me an appointment for LLETZ. Fair to say I was scared as I wondered why they didnt mention what my actual results were in the letter, so I had to phone the next morning and find out. She told me over the phone its CIN3 but didn't sound very positive, so I am dreading it!

I have my LLETZ tomorrow, no doubt it'll be another 4-6 weeks for results from that, but I will certainly be asking more questions as to why they didnt specify my results in my letter (or if thats normal procedure I dont know?).

I assume they will put something in writing about what has been removed otherwise how else would you find out unless you ring them? I'm not speaking from experience though so I think the best bet is to keep chasing, and once you have something in writing hopefully it states whats removed/results, and if not, you can ring! I hope you're results come back OK :-)

Also to add to this, I think they may mention terms such as 'clear margins' or 'unclear margins' meaning if there are any cells remaining at the edges of the cells they have taken (i.e. if there are any potentially left) but thats the only terminology I know!! Sorry :-) 

Lucy x 

Hi Lucy, thank you for your response!

Sorry to hear that you have had such vague results back from the smear. Not knowing can send your mind into overdrive can't it? I don't blame you for calling - I would probably have done the same thing. I hope that the Lletz treatment went ok for you and wasn't too stressful.

Thank you, will post when results are in. I hope your results come back ok too! :) 

I had wondered what they meant by margins, as I had seen a few posts on here about it! Thanks for explaining :)

xx

After my smear I got an appointment letter for colposcopy before any results so I was completely freaked out! 2 days later I got a letter just saying thank you for attending your cervical screening, someone will have been in contact to discuss your results as these were abnorml and you have been referred for urgent treatment, No more detail than that!

I straight away contacted colposcopy department who got up my results and explained it all to me

xx

Esmeela that's exactly what mine said. Where do you live?