Results in, hysterectomy booked today

Hi Donna, glad to hear your results are in and you have a early staging - I can only imagine the relief.  A hysterectomy is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.    I know what you mean about your body feeling all kinds of pain etc.   I've only got my smear result with the high grade dysk result on saturday and already I can "feel" something not right inside and I feel as if I am getting thrush or cystitis or something in the general undercarriage area !!  I am sure its psychological as I didn't have those symptoms last week - our bodies do these things to us eh !

Have a great evening

Disey

xx

hi Don

to add to the "keep the ovaries or not discussion", i too was a stage 1B Adenocarcinoma, my consultant told me that there was a 1-2% chance of cancer recurrance in them.  And he left the decision to me so much so that the morning of the surgery whilst signing the consent forms his words were, well what are we doing about the ovaries.

After researching the pros and cons i decided to get them removed.   i'm 42 had my children, and removing something that has a potential for cancer returning i was onboard with.  Plus in some cases if they're left in they stop working anyways and there is still the cancer risk.  

i'm 4 weeks post surgery and haven't started HRT yet, my GP is awaiting the recommendation from the consultant, and it's ok.  i have had menopause symptoms, night sweats (who threw a bucket of water on me!), that is the main irritant i've noticed.  i'm tired but not sure if its due to the surgery or menopausal and achey joints but not so so bad. However i know that taking HRT is a much to preserve my bones. (though am researching alternatives for this).

i have completed my medical exempt form this week and found the ladies at my gp's surgery to be great at assisting with this also. The process was extremely straight forward and they sent the form off to the correct place for me.

take care

Pat

x

Thank you

It's so helpful knowing what other people have done to help me make up my mind. I genuinely appreciate everyone's stories!!!

With regard to the staff at the GPs, I think staff always get bad press but everyone I have come across have been fabulous.

Hi

I'm also 37 and I opted to keep my ovaries. I had the option of the radical hysterectomy or a trachelectomy - as ideally I would have liked another child, however due to the type of cancer I have - adenosquamous, which is a lot rarer than most (as such even the experts don't seem to know that much about it and the treatment/outcomes due to the smaller percentage of people that get it) - I decided to go with the safer option and have the radical hysterectomy. However I felt keeping my ovaries then left me with the possibility of looking into a surrogate. We probably won't go down this road, but I felt better knowing the option was still available to me. I know 1-2% is too much of a risk for some people - but for me the benefits out weighed the risk, as I believe even after menopause your ovaries still play a part in hormone secretion etc. Both doctors I spoke to were very happy for me to keep them, due to my age. Also the stage of my cancer may have played a part in the Consultants decision - as although I am classed as 1b1, I was upgraded from 1a1 (where I could have got away with just a cone biopsy) as my cancer was still microscopic (hence the time it took them to find it!) but just covered enough area to scrape into 1b1 by a few millimeters.

All the best

Hi Dons, I'm amazed at how quickly your appointments have been from diagnosis to treatment booked! Everyone else's seem to be a lot further apart, sounds like you're in a great area for treatment as I know it differs between different towns etc.

At what point was everyone's cc graded? I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago and still haven't been told what grade I am only that it's "very early stages". I haven't even met a consultant or anything yet. 

Mine was graded (provisionally) straight away but they didn't actually tell me that at my appt with my consultant - I was just told that it was early and then my nurse dropped it into coversation when I had phoned to ask another question. It wasn't confirmed until after my MRI results/MDT meeting.

When are you due to meet with a consultant? xxx

My next appointment is 30th Sept which my nurse said would be with a surgeon. It seems really far away when I just want to know what's going on. 

Hi

i wasn't told my grade until I asked when met with consultant after MRI done, at diagnosis meeting they just said early stages. Don't know if they would have told me stage if I had asked, but so unexpected when told that had done no research so didnt know what to ask. the MRI confirms what they think, so you will have a definite answer then.

fingers crossed for you.

Don x

Hi Don

Just wanted you wish you lots of love and luck for your op on Tuesday.  Know you are going in Monday and didn't know how much you would be on here beforehand.

Hopefully you are having some treats and quality time with your family this weekend.  Just think, this time next weekend you will be home and on the road to recovery.

Lets us know how you get on when you get a chance and I will post my upates too.  Shame we're not having our op the same day after all but I shouldn't be too much longer after you.

Hugs,

Cheryl,xx

Thank you matey,
It still doesn’t seem real but I’m sure it will when I walk in that hospital on Monday. Scared as is a major op. Did the morbid thing of writing letters to my husband and daughter, not long ones but “just in case something goes wrong” ones. I know, silly but as practical as ever!
Feeling pooey with a full on head cold and the aches that come with it today so hope that will disappear by Monday!
The hints I dropped to husband about lovely meal at Thai restaurant before going into hospital seem to have fallen on deaf ears so looks like an evening on the sofa watching a film tonight. Oh well.
Don xxx