Results after Lletz

Hi everyone,

I’m new here so please excuse me if I have posted in the wrong discussion group.

I’m a bit confused as to what my latest letter is saying. I’ll go through my story so far.

I am 23 and was given a smear test early due to bleeding after intercourse. The smear test showed high grade dyskaryosis. I then went for a colposcopy and biopsy which confirmed pre-cancerous cells. I then went for Lletz procedure and was told I would receive results to say whether they have cut all the abnormal cells away. So today I’m confused with my results. It says “results show CIN1 and CIN2 (which I already knew) and what is called ungraded CIN (is this a mixture of CIN2 and CIN3?) which means that the level of abnormality could not be detected.” They have sent me an appointment for a follow up smear. And that’s that. I don’t really get it. I’ve been reading online and some people have had results after LLETZ along the lines of “CIN2 with clear margins.” What does clear margins mean and why don’t my results say this? I’m going to call tomorrow because I’m so confused.

Thanks for reading my ramble. My head is battered x

Hi Chloe,

Clear margins means that all the edges of the tissue which they cut out in the lletz are clear of abnormal cells, which would indicate that the lletz has probably successfully removed all abnormal cells. It seems your results aren't conclusive enough? Hope you'll get some clarity tomorrow.

Best,

Layla

Hi

Thank you for your reply. Yeah I suppose I was hoping to see those words but it's just not telling me anything. If anything it's a bit contradictory to my biopsy results in terms of the ungraded CIN as my biopsy showed CIN1 to 3. I've tried calling them but I don't think they're there yet. Will call back later x