Refused smear test

I made an appointment to see the nurse for a smear test, have some lower aches, bit of spotting and a bloated tummy. My last one was done in Oct 2018. I was told when I got there that I would not get one, apparently even if I she did it, it would not get tested at the lab, just be thrown away. She had googled the advice she told me and I would not get a smear done, go home and read it was her advice. What a waste of the morning, not to say taking up an appointment which are rare to even get these days. So I have to now make another appointment with the doctor who will then refer you to the hospital gynaecologist if they feel they have too. My passed history is I have had pre cancerous cells removed many years ago, both my grandmothers had womb cancer and I think its ridiculous when the papers and online tell women to go and get a smear if you feel something is not right. I can not afford a private one, I find the whole episode just crazy.

I was also refused my last smear test when I turned up for my appointment. I had previously had positive HPV16 followed by one clear test. When I went for the second (hopefully clear) test a year later I was told I was over the age limit of 65 and even if she took it they would ‘throw it in the bin’.

2 Positive Superdrug tests revealed dangerous HPV’ (tho not 16 or 18). I’m going to try one more after using Papliocare and AHCC supplement then want to have a proper smear test to make sure all my cells are ok.

Any idea where to get this done…. or even what to ask for?
I understand why they want people to have smear tests but as there’s incidence of cc in mid 70/75 we’ve got to be worth it? Peace of mind is priceless. Thanks!

Hi @summer1066

A smear test is a simple screening test, but as you have symptoms it is appropriate that these should be investigated, first by going to your gp who will decide on a referral to a gynaecologist if necessary. The smear test is not a diagnostic test, so I believe that the advice you were given was correct. It’s not about getting a smear if you think something’s not right, it’s about making sure those symptoms are investigated.

2 Likes

Hi Summer1066 and welcome

It’s better that you see the GP as you have symptoms for which there could be a number of reasons; for example bloating can be a symptom of ovarian cancer which a smear test isn’t designed to detect.

I saw my GP when I had abnormal bleeding and he referred me urgently so I was seen within 2 weeks and I had various checks and tests done very quickly. If I’d just gone for a routine smear I might have waited several weeks for a result which wouldn’t have been good because as it turned out I had stage 2A cervical cancer.

Your symptoms could well turn out to be nothing serious but it’s best to be safe than sorry so do see your GP asap.

x