Referral for Loop

Sorry, I know this probably has been covered 100000 time on here but I’m at work and can’t scroll back.

I had a smear, then referral for colposcopy due to ‘abnormalities’.
Went for my referral a week later. I hate to be ‘dramatic’ but the woman before me came out crying so I knew it was going to be bad.

The nurse informed me I had severe abnormalities that were higher in the cervix than what is normally detected on a smear and that’s why I was sent for colposcopy.

Colposcopy was fine then she took biopsies and I honestly thought I was going to faint after so I had to lay down for ages.

When we sat down I noted on her screen it said CIN 3. She said the abnormalities are severe and she wanted to book me in for treatment.

Then she left and came back an said she would rather book me in to be asleep for a loop treatment. She said its ‘probably’ not cancer and if it is its very very early stages. So I’m feeling like it ‘probably’ is and she just said that so I wouldn’t have a mental breakdown.

Is it normal to been referred for a loop without any biopsy results being returned yet? Because she made it sound like I’ll have the loop in 2 weeks or so, and I’m presuming my biopsy results won’t be back by then.

What does it mean for the abnormalities to be higher in the cervix? Cancer?

If it is cancer, will I need a hysterectomy? Will they check for ovarian, bowel etc just incase?

My fiancé thinks i’m being pessimistic but I as soon as I got the letter I knew it was going to be bad news. Am I right to be so paranoid?

Hi

Sorry to hear what you are going through. I had/have high grade glandular changes/CGIN which are higher up in the cervical canal. From my reading it doesn't mean they are more aggressive just usually means they are harder to see and treat because of location. I had a LLETZ after biopsies which I am waiting for the results for. But consultant said likely I will need another under general anaesthetic because of location. 

Your consultant will draw up a treatment plan depending on what they find. But your are in good hands. Read some of the stories on here the ladies are amazing. 

Fingers crossed for you.

Nat

Hi Kayla,

I hope to reply to your questions in more detail later on, but for now I wanted to pop in to say don't panic! I also had a severely abnormal smear result and, like you, was referred for colposcopy. I had punch biopsies taken at this appointment, but the person who performed my colposcopy told me outright that 'with abnormalities of my grade', they like to go ahead and treat anyway - that is, before punch biopsy results are even back. It's standard protocol if cytology and colposcopy findings both point towards a CIN II or CIN III grade, and they are required to treat these within a certain timeframe in accordance with NHS guidelines, so don't fret. CIN is not necessarily cancer.

Thank you so much for your reply! Some how I've only just seen this!!! 

i ended up having my biopsy results being just 'inflammation' and told i will be seen in 6 months time - only for a follow up call saying after a full review I would be treated anyway.

I had (I think as I wasn't actually told) a cone biopsy - with 18mm removed (I think that's alot?? But again I wasn't told a grest deal apart from they would send it all off for testing and I would have another colposcopy in 6 months) 

honestly they're communication is poor!!!! 

Thank you so much for your reply! Some how I've only just seen this!!! 

i ended up having my biopsy results being just 'inflammation' and told i will be seen in 6 months time - only for a follow up call saying after a full review I would be treated anyway.

I had (I think as I wasn't actually told) a cone biopsy - with 18mm removed (I think that's alot?? But again I wasn't told a grest deal apart from they would send it all off for testing and I would have another colposcopy in 6 months) 

honestly they're communication is poor!!!!