red and swollen cervix

Today i have been told by the nurse that my cervix is red and swollen .

I have had three failed attempts at a smear , and now i am worried sick after reading everything on 'google'.

what does this mean ? i am seeing the GP on Monday , but as you know , today is Tuesday and Monday is an eternity away for me to worry. I am a single mum with no family .

I dont have any pain , or blood but i do have a lot of discharge , I have not had a period for 11 months and was wondering if the hormone change

is causing the problem . I think ive had this now for 11 months .... please can someone be honest and reply .

Hi Elizabeth,

I am not the slightest bit surprised you are worried sick after reading everything on Google. It is packed with horror stories and our worried minds fill in the gaps, put two and two together and come up with sixty four, diagnose ourselves as being right at death's door etc. etc. So please, do yourself a favour, leave Google alone.

I cannot tell you what a red and swollen cervix means but it doesn't normally mean a significant tumour. I also cannot tell you what your lack of period plus a lot of discharge signify, are you approaching menopause?

Now then, it's Wednesday, only five days left :-) Try to distract yourself with a gripping novel or something, hang out here and chat with the rest of us some more, and don't go anywhere near Bad Dr Google.

Be lucky

Tivoli

Thankyou for the reply . I am going thru menopause . I'm hoping it's not a tumour at all ! I will keep coming back on the site daily . Thankyou 

Hi Elizabeth,

How did it go yesterday? All well I hope! 

I was just starting my menopause when I got cervical cancer and because the menopause has such a vast array of 'symptoms' it's possible to put anything at all down to menopause and ignore what could be cancer. And of course the reverse is equally true. I hope this is the case for you. Have you read any menopause books? The array of possible 'symptoms' is endless! I am quite sure that some of it is simply 'getting a bit older' and that men go through exactly the same as we do, but for some inexplicable reason it's seen as some kind of failing in women. For instance, forgetting where you put the car keys down. In a bloke that's forgetfulness but in a woman it's a symptom of menopause! Bonkers!

Be lucky

Tivoli