Recurrence in lungs

Hello,

My last time on here was March 2019, when my mom finished her treatments, as diagnosed with 2b cc with lymph node involvement.

As much as I wanted to come back and share some good news, unfortunately it is not the case for my dear mom. Last month, 2 years post treatment, they confirmed metastasis in lungs, one large and 3 small tumors. It was devastating to get those news as we were just coming back to some normality and expecting to be checked just once a year. Now she started 20 radiotherapy treatments and they will see how many chemos she can take afterwards. Last time she managed to go through 4 out of 6 because of bad blood results. Maybe thats why it came back.

Sorry it's such a sad post, I just wanted to ask if anyone here had lung metastasis? And how was the treatment... so far its extremely hard for her, even just after 7 radios.

I've applied to advanced forum, just don't know if it will be accepted.

Wishing everyone here strength and best of luck with results.

Hi Kay82,

I'm sorry to hear about your Mum's recurrence. I'm afraid I can't be of any help to you as it's not something I've experienced but I just wanted to reach out. Hopefully you'll get accepted onto the advanced forum very soon as I'm sure you'll find the lovely ladies there much more informative about recurrence and treatments. Wishing you lots of strength going forward as you support your Mum. 

x Maria

Maria, thank you for reaching out!

Unfortunately I wasn't accepted on the advanced side since its my mom, not me who has been diagnosed. These are the rools, even though it'd be nice if they could accept immediate family there.

Hope your checks continue coming back NED!

Xx

Some of the lovely ladies from the advanced forum do check in here from time to time so do continue to post your questions. x Maria

Hi Kay82

I haven't had a similar experience to your Mum  but thought I'd mention that Macmillan offer support to family members/carers of those affected by cancer: https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/supporting-someone

x

Hi Kay

I am sorry to hear this about your mum. 

Please feel free to keep popping up in this section, there is always someone on/around to offer any support or just be a sounding board. 

Sending love and light to you, your mum, and family.

xx

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I will stay around in case someone with similar situation sees my post.

Xx Kristina

Hi Kristina

I'm sorry about your mum and her reoccurrence.

I'm currently going through chemotherapy for a reoccurrence although not in my lung. Although the treatment is pretty similar for everyone.

Most people have the carboplatin/taxol chemotherapy, its every 21 days for 6 sessions. It's rough but doable.  I also have an injection the day after chemotherapy to increase my blood count called nuelasta.

If you want to drop me a private message with any questions I'll be happy to respond. 

X

I'm really sorry about your Mum's recurrence. I had a recurrence/metastatis to my lungs in Feb 2020. Mine were 3 small ones just under 1cm in size. I also had other areas light up at the time, a 1.2 cm tumor on abdominal wall and also vaginal cuff had come back despite radiation treatment that finished in May 2019 and a clear PET scan in August 2019.

I was told expected prognosis was "at least one year". Stats are 17% survival rate. I sold my house coz I expected I'd get too sick to deal with it towards the end. I took 6 months medical leave.

Then I did 6 cycles of chemo - Carboplatin/Taxol/Avastin. This was my 2nd recurrence since my original stage 1b1 Adenocarcinoma diagnosis in Aug 2018 so I figured I'll throw the kitchen sink at this thing. So I did a protocol on the side with "repurposed" drugs - Mebendazole, Metformin, Avastin and Doxycycline, plus Loratadine, which supposedly has anti-cancer properties. It's called the careoncology protocol. I took it alongside the chemo and I believe it saved/is saving my life.

Despite the grim odds, I'm still around and I've had 3 clear PET scans. I did chemo from Feb 2020 - July 2020. Did a PET May 2020 (mid-treament, had a partial response) then after treatment the PETs on July 2020, October 2020 and Feb 2021 were all NED. I also cleaned up my diet, no sweets, no dairy, no meat, no added sugar. Plant based diet with lots of veg, fruits, legumes, whole grains, nuts plus just a bit of fish and occasional eggs.

So, don't give up hope despite the stats. Good luck to your mum.

1 Like

Jjww, thank you for your message! Its is very encouraging to read such stories. I wish you full recovery in years to come. I guess taking it day by day is the only thing that can be done sometimes...

Right now my mom is struggling a lot... I don't know if 20 radios will be enough to shrink the tumors. Hopefully they will and she can start her chemos. My main concern is that she's throwing up a lot and that she is loosing lots of weight even before chemo. They prescribed her something today, don't know if it will help. The problem is the size and location of her large tumor right next to trachea.

Thank you everyone for advice and sharing!

Hi Kay82

I became underweight during my treatment and the dietitian prescribed me with high calorie nutritional drinks which helped me.

x