Recovery after hysterectomy

Hi all

Iv recently had a hysterectomy and sentinal lymph node removal.Iv been signed off for 6 weeks I’m in week 3 of recovery and I’m starting to get ‘cabin fever’. I really need to get out the house and do something. My partner is very protective and worries about me going out a lot. Not that I can blame him his had to deal with a lot of loved ones having cancer in his life.

How long was it before everyone was out and about doing normal things? I’m ok walking about and I do get tired quite easily but I’m usually quite a busy person and this doing nothings resting is starting to get me down? I am still awaiting my results and my post op appointment for the lymph node dissection. And doing nothing makes you think about things a lot more

Thanks

Mine is due next week so this isn’t quite the same but I had a emergency C-section 5 years ago, I think I tried a short walk at 2 weeks and didn’t make it far, getting home was a struggle as it was on a slight incline. I’m going to aim for the same if I can this time and build up slowly. I won’t be rushing to get back to normal though. I wfh so am used to staying in all the time. I’ll be replacing work with some tv and lots of knitting and some reading.

1 Like

Hi Sjbrown90,

I also had my hysterectomy recently, and my sentinel lymph nodes were also removed so I guess a very similar operation to yours (mine was done laparoscopically). So I do know about the recovery process, at least from my own perspective. First of all, I would say that it’s a great sign if you feel like doing more, because it tells your body is healing. Regarding the limits of what one can do, my doctors were actually quite lax about the instructions (note I’m not in the UK!), for instance they didn’t give me a specific weight limit for lifting. What my operating consultant did say pre-op was ‘for the 2 first weeks, don’t do anything very physically challenging, like run a marathon’. But then, I did end up getting an infection (just bad luck?) and I had to stay several days in the hospital. I must say it was very boring once the antibiotics started kicking in and I got more energetic again. On the later days in the hospital (week 2 of recovery maybe) I was walking up and down the stairs in order to keep myself active. But yeah, I feel you and completely understand wanting to get out of the house.

I think if you’re on pain meds then you should be more careful because the pain won’t tell you when to stop, but if you don’t need the meds, then you don’t have to avoid all physical activity on week 3. Just be careful of the inner wound, both in terms of lifting and putting anything in. I understand we have loved ones who are protective of us (I also had), but on the other hand too much physical inactivity is also a risk factor for trombosis post operation. One consultant in the hospital told me no limitations at all for physical activity except just the wound in the vagina. What I personally did was listen to my body and I think every day I added one or two new movements so slowly I went back to what I was doing before. So here are some answers, not to be taken as medical advice (quite the contrary!) but just to share what I did and what I was told. I hope your recover keeps proceeding well!

Thanks Stepper

It does look like you had a similar operation to mine. It was also laparoscopic. Did you feel and numbness and soreness in you growing and thigh? I heard this is a side effect of the sentinal lymph node removal

Hi you’re welcome, happy to share and to hear from others. Regarding the lymph nodes, let me share with you what I had. First of all, I was really worried I would get issues (the background was I had been talked to about hysterectomy for a longer time, and yes I was preparing for that as a possible treatment option, but the sentinel lymph nodes came into play kind of last minute and unexpectedly, and I was so reluctant to give up anything else than my fertility… so I was worried some of my physical ability would be lost). So after the operation, I sensed every sort of pain in my legs and feet and was really worried “is this now THE problem” and even went to talk to a private physiotherapist about the lympho-vascular things and the possible consequences of the operation on my body. He said with the removal of only the sentinels I would not need to worry unless I got real symptoms, most probably I would not get problems. (But if I were to get problems then they should be adressed quickly.) It helped a lot and I calmed down. Before I went for the visit I had often felt like my feet and lower legs had been sore (like after a long day of walking but just I had not been walking) and I had felt some numbness in my feet. He also said those symptoms could be down to just the operation itself and I would have to give it some time. In fact, since the visit I have not had symptoms. So seems like it was just worry and post-operation symptoms. You asked me if I’d have soreness in my thighs or groin (?), actually I did, although not much and not constant. I know my uterus in pain used to connect to my thighs so a cramp would sometimes be felt in both thighs as a constant ache, well I had some pain like this again after the operation, but not every day, really. The midwife in the hospital said it’s a nerve thing that it happens. And actually, now that I am really try to recall, one of my groins was also hurting when I had the infection, maybe it was somehow swallen with excess fluid in the area. I really don’t know which part of the sores is related to the nodes and which is just “general post-op” for hysterectomy… Take care!

I have been diagnosed with cervical cancer 1A and im age 60.

I was keen to have keyhole surgery as a choice of surgery if my treatment plan was surgey because im single and need to get back to work. The MDT Meeting confirmed surgery on Wednesday.

My question is ladies; if you had kehole robotic radical historectomy this year or last in Scotland or the UK i would be keen to know how it went? The removal for me is womb tubes cervix ovaries top of virginal lymph nodes in the pelvis parametrial and fatty cells.

Regards

Hello and sorry to hear of your complications.

Did you have keyhole or open surgery please?

I was keen to have keyhole surgery as a choice of surgery if my treatment plan was surgey because im single and need to get back to work. The MDT Meeting confirmed surger on Wednesday.

My question is ladies; if you had kehole robotic radical historectomy this year or last in Scotland or the UK i would be keen to know how it went? The removal for me is womb tubes cervix ovaries top of virginal lymph nodes in the pelvis parametrial and fatty cells.

Regards

Hello,

Did you have keyhole or open surgery please?

I was keen to have keyhole surgery as a choice of surgery if my treatment plan was surgey because im single and need to get back to work. The MDT Meeting confirmed surger on Wednesday.

Regards

Hello.

Hiw did your historectomy go please and was it keyhole or open?

Because…

Regards

Hi @Helenteresa

Sorry to hear you are going through this.

I’m in my 4th week post op now and had abdominal surgery, I had previously had a C-section so had an idea what to expect. My surgeon advised me that they opt for abdominal because they have a better chance of getting it all and lowering the chance of recurrence, I know this is based on trials from a number of years ago although I believe there are new trials that offer a different view on this.

What do you do for work? Is there any chance you could work from home? I think you would still be signed off for 4 weeks for keyhole and unable to drive for 2-4 weeks but I’m sure there are other ladies that can give you more accurate info. I’m unable to drive for 6 and was signed off for a minimum of 6 weeks but I started back on reduced hours early anyway.

Hi Helenteresa, sorry to hear that you are going through this. My operation was robotic-assisted keyhole surgery. I wrote about the recovery also in a separate topic, you can find it through my profile. I got home the next day but then I did get the complications. After that was treated, the physical recovery was good for everyday life functions. Now I’m almost 3 month past surgery and doing all physical activities totally normally. I think you can never 100 % anticipate how everything will go, but as I understand with the keyhole surgery the recovery is usually faster.

I hope your surgery will be successfull, and I wish you strenght for the waiting part now!

@Sjbrown90 how has your recovery been? Are you doing OK?