Reconstruction for vaginal stenosis

Hi, 

Just deperately trying to find any info or anyone in the same postion as me ... vaginal stenois following readical hysterectomy, radiation + brachytherapy. 

I'm under gynae + plastic surgeons and they have literally exhausted all options to 'fix me', I have 3cm left in length of my vagina, and I'm completely devestated. Ive had several sexual relationships over the years, and now intercourse is becoming near impossible as the stenosis has worsened. I was good after my treatment as I kept up the vaginal dilators, even though I hated them. I have so many other after effects of my treatment, and it was over 10 years ago. My plastics consultant has suggested a reconstruction using part of my sigmoid colon, but has advised that this method is rarely done now. I am unable to have skin grafts or flaps due to my lmphodema. I am so depressed now, as I have tried to live my life beyond my cancer diagnosis and treatment, I just wondered if anyone can help? or offer advice?

Thanks kat xx

Hi Kittykat,

I have very bad lympodoema in my legs, particularly the left. However, I still had  reconstruction done at the time of my exenteration. They used a flap from my left leg which is my worse leg. I have to admit that healing of the leg wasn't straight forward. The wound burst open and had to be packed for six weeks. It was never painful though. I had no issues in the lady department it all healed well and has normal function.

What is interesting is that nobody suggested to me at any point that my lymphodoema was an issue. I am much older than you and I had had the lymphodoema for twenty years but it didn't seem to put anyone off.

My advice to you would be to seek a second opinion. Your surgeons seem a little pessimistic. 

Whereabouts are you geographically?

Karen 

1 Like

Hi, i had joined this nearly 5 yrs ago in the search for someone that was also going through the same as what i am going through but did not find much so the lonely road continued do just by chance i decided to have a look here again. I hav Vaginal stenosis with only 3cm opening. I am from ireland and have been told that there is nothing that can be done here. I have looked the world to try find a doctor to try fix this issue eg vaginal reconstruction but as soon as they hear about stenosis they will not treat. I would be most grateful for any information about doctors that may do this or even a point in the right direction woukd be amazing. Thank u.
Rad hysterectomy, radio&brachytherapy

1 Like

Thank you for you honesty in you post I had womb cancer 4 years ago had radical hysterectomy etc radiotherapy and brachytherapy and have been left with little or no vagina due to vaginal stenosis, in the four years I have had no support and no one to turn to to get my head around all this, all the body changes I’m still going through and yes being told sorry nothing else we can do. After 4 years I still feel lost with this when I think I should be over the cancer but I’m
Not .

Hi sandra so sorry u are going through this aswell its a horrible situation to be in. I actually found a gyne professor in istanbul after searching the world that may be able to help!!! He does a reconstruction with stem cell treatment which costs in the region of 8000…unfortunately i havent been able to try this out yet but i did visit him last January in istanbul. I would strongly recommend some medical grade hyperbaric chambers to try heal the area first…i hav done 30 but told i need 90…his name is Dr. Süleyman Eserdağ…i hope this may help…please feel free to reach out any time x

1 Like