Recent smear test results

I recently received by smear test results and I’m high grade servere dyskaryosis and HPV positive.
I am a complete mess, crying constantly, thinking the worst and not knowing where to turn.
I lost my mum last year and its making it feel all so much worse as we all want our mum when we are scared so I’m feeling very alone.
All my previous smears have been fine so this feels like a nightmare.
Any advice would be very much appreciated x

Hello so sorry that you are feeling like this I was diagnosed with HPV and high grade abnormal cells last April and I totally understand how you feel I was also very scared and waking up in the middle of the night crying , my smears in the past were also good so it was an absolute shock to the system.
But now a few months have passed had treatment done and feeling a more positive. Not having your mum must make all this much more difficult is there anyone else you can speak to? . Please be assured that you will not feel like this all the time ,my advice which helped me was to try and get as much information as possible so when you see the doctor you can ask all the questions, but also don’t think of the worst case scenario like I did at first, the truth is that this is very treatable and you will be fine if you follow doctor advised and attend all the appointments. Please don’t think about it all day long and try and still enjoy your day :blush:. Otherwise is just a waste. Take care and let me know how you get on

1 Like

Hello, I got the same results as yourself last year and I cried everyday for about 2 weeks! I think it’s a natural reaction as it’s the unknown. I’m so sorry to hear that your Mam passed away. Try and talk to a friend or someone you trust. I also find this forum really helpful as people are going through the same things and can share coping strategies. I just found talking about it helped, rather than bottling it up. I followed a few pages on Instagram who give advice and tips for different situations (gynae geek is great). I’m onto my 3rd Lletz treatment now as they can’t seem to get rid of them, this is extremely rare my consultant said so don’t worry. Usually the cells are treated after one procedure and then they just keep an eye on you. If you’d like to message me then I’m happy to be the person you can talk to, I know how worrying it is. Take care and try not to let it take over your every thought xxx

Thank you for responding, I would like to be able to private message you but don’t know how.
I’m just really struggling it’s the unknown that makes it so hard. You get the letter and it’s such a shock . Your in complete limbo until your appointment. I’m struggling to hold it together and not knowing anyone who has experienced it makes it hard to talk about.
Like I said I m just feeling very alone and extremely anxious.

1 Like

Hello, I have no advise other than to say I’m in the exact same position. I went to my colposcopy yesterday and they say it’s abnormal high/ severe CIN 2-3 and HPV positive and that I will need LLETZ treatment under general aesthetic which is going to be in In 2 weeks time (as they were unable to do it there and then due to the cells being in an awkward position)
I’m really scared myself as my last smear was abnormal but it came back clear 3.5years ago so thought the HPV would have cleared out of my system so I’m confused as to why it’s suddenly escalated! The only thing I can say think of for me is because I have just had a baby ( June) and maybe the hormones from pregnancy and birth escalated it?? Suppose I will never know.

I’m trying my best to keep as positive as possible but it’s so hard isn’t it?! I just want to curl up and cry all the time but I can’t as I have my kids to look after ( which is a blessing) and this page seems to help, the ladies on here are lovely, if you want to message me your most welcome :blush: fingers crossed it all works out good for us both :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

I’m so sorry you are going through this too , I feel terrible and an emotional wreck. I actually find it quite shocking that we have to just go through it all with what I feel is very little support. You get your letter with your results and nothing prepares you for that and what it could be. Your told not to worry but the wording of the letters just makes you think the worst.
I have always had normal results and was not aware of the different names which can be used maybe if we were aware than we would be better prepared.
Sending big virtual hugs to you x

I tried to reply but said I couldn’t, I’m not sure what personal details I can put on here x

Hello both
I thought I’d drop you a line to say I was the same 5weeks ago. Shocked and in despair…

The term high grade severe sounds like the world will end soon doesn’t it??

It is such a heavy negative term especially for us who have not heard it before.

I had smear, colposcoy and lletz underGA thst confirmed high grade severe dys CIN 3 and CGiN. As everything was moving quickly I thought of the worst as we do!

I got my results after 3wks of lletz and it said all clear and come back for test of cure in 6months…

The initial shock and the agonising wait is not easy but for now, do find comfort in each other and know that abnormal cells are not cancer.

There are also a lot of lovely ladies on here who even had actual CC diagnosis and had positive outcome… breath and take one step at a time… during my research, one coping suggestion was to allocate a few minutes a day to allow yourself to cry and read worst case scenarios and then get busy with your normal routine on the rest of the day….
I personally found music and cake helps🙏

4 Likes

Hello, exactly it’s the wording! I know they have to tell us though. It’s just we don’t fully understand what it means. I keep thinking that there’s definitely people worse off than me like you say with actual CC diagnosis. They’re so brave! I’m trying my best to brave for the 3rd time but it’s worrying as this is my last chance as there isn’t much cervix left at all and I don’t have any family yet. They don’t want to do a hysterectomy because of my situation, so I’m not sure of the next step if they can’t remove all the cells this time. Again, it’s the unknown! I am more positive this time, probably because I know what to expect. Thank you for giving us some tips, I hope you’re okay :blush: xxx

3 Likes

Hi :slight_smile: I’m terribly sorry to hear about your mom. I know you’ve received some great support already but I just saw your post and wanted to say that I, too, was told I was HPV positive last year. I have had clear smears since I was 19 years old and am now 32, have only been with 1 person (my now husband), and was not having any symptoms.

My smear results stated an HSIL reading, so severe dyskaryosis. I was devastated, scared, anxious, and also confused. I suffer from wild health anxiety as it is so this truly set me over the edge for weeks. I cried, felt sorry for myself, lost sleep, constantly felt stressed…it was a terrible time for me. I had a colposcopy a few weeks after my smear that determined it was CIN2 and so I had a LEEP under general at the end on July. I got clear margins with my procedure and actually just had a 3 month pap smear done last week and am already testing HPV negative and no cell abnormality.

I know this is scary and feels like the end of the world. But I just wanted to say that even though it may feel that way right now, the odds are in your favor that once things are treated (if they even need to be) this will one day just be a bump in the road and you’ll have moved on with life before you know it. This forum has been a great source for me and many women on here. But you must remind yourself that most women diagnosed with HPV have their treatment and then move on with life! You will get through this, and you are most definitely not alone!

1 Like