Radical Hysterectomy

Hi Ladies

This is my first post here, I have been using the forum for the last couple of months and found the information here valuable.

I am going in on Monday for Radical Hysterectomy and have a few questions;

What sort of recovery am I looking at? (having Keyhole)

Is there anything in particular I should take with me?

How long after op are you allowed to drive?

Menopause?? My ovaries are being taken but havent discussed HRT with consultant

Any advice would be greatfully recieved.

Thanks

Hi LD1,

In vast majority of cases, rad. hyst. causes no problems.  I had radical hysterectomy 05.09.2014 and I can tell you, at age 60, had no real issues with it.  I also had key-hole surgery and only have 4 tiny scars which are hardly noticeable.  I was in hospital for 4 days and returned home.  First week, I was just tired and needed to be waited on, but felt fine.  Second week, was getting up, washing and dressing, but started to have problems with bowels - initially constipated for nearly a week, then started going to the loo anything from 3-8 times a day!  This lasted almost 2 weeks but then went back to normal.  Bladder fine, no pain except some occasional twinges in bladder/vagina area.  Was not driving, but went to local village by bus and had short walks daily by week 3.  By week 4 started to do light dusting, putting dishwasher on but no heavy housework.  Drove after about 6 weeks, but you will be advised by your consultant about this.  What to take - well, take a good novel, nightdress (although they can supply them), toiletries, dressing gown, hairbrush, hairdryer and mobile phone - oh and slippers. 

Can't answer query about hrt as long past menopause.  Worse thing for me was doing the 28 Fragmin injections at home!

Conclusion - for me this went very smoothly but of course can't speak for everyone. 

May 14 - abnormal smear

June 14 - colposcopy and lletz cone biopsy under anaesthetic

July 14 - MRI - confirmed 2A

Sept 14 - examination under anaesthetic and downgraded to 1b1

Sept 14 - rad. hyst.

Sept 14 - biopsy confirmed stage 2A with clear margins, no lymph node involvement, but lymphatic disease found.

Dec 14 - due to have one cycle of 28 radiotherapy plus 5 chemo and 3 brachy to reduce chances of recurrence.

Hi LD1 - forget to say "Good luck for Monday"!  I am sure everything will go smoothly.  Take care.

Janis

Good luck for Mon. My experience is nearly the same as janis, however I had bladder problems and had to self catheterize for a month after. I agree the injections were the worst part. It will be on 28th November since my opinion and I feel great. I'm on hrt as I had my ovaries taken and don't really suffer a lot menopausal symptoms now. My advice would be don't rush your recovery it takes time to heal and this is a major operation. All the best lea xxx

THanks Ladies, I have a very busy weekend coming up with an event,

So probably wont have time to think about the op before I get to hospital on Monday!

THanks for your advice, very helpful xx

Good luck, I am having a vaginal hysterectomy on Thursday but keeping my ovaries as I am only 34 and luckily no involvement elsewhere. I have heard that you can suffer from painful wind and as I have had a c section before I know what this is like so I have got some peppermint oil capsules to take for this. I hope everything goes well for you x x

Hi I am currently in hospital recovering from my RH. I have found my phone invaluable , got kindle app and a stupid game that I enjoy. I also have been very glad of a limitless makeup bag that I packed with bedside essentials; eye mask, ear plugs, hair bobbles, lip balm. You'll need all your own toiletries and flannel is useful. Knee length nighties! I also have been very glad of some lockets, as my throat was raw for a couple of days. 

Hi I am currently in hospital recovering from my RH. I have found my phone invaluable , got kindle app and a stupid game that I enjoy. I also have been very glad of a limitless makeup bag that I packed with bedside essentials; eye mask, ear plugs, hair bobbles, lip balm. You'll need all your own toiletries and flannel is useful. Knee length nighties! I also have been very glad of some lockets, as my throat was raw for a couple of days. 

All the best for today!! x

Thanks Ladies, The op went well and I am recovering well so far.  Will be having my catheter out on friday (cant wait for that). THey kept

my ovaries in so thats good news.  Hope you are all doing well? xx

Glad everything went well.

Hope you have a good recovery.Take it slow and steady.

All the best for the future.

Becky x

Glad to hear it's gone well, don't be tempted to rush back onto your feet. Recommend drinking lots of cranberry juice!

hugs, molly xx