Radical Hysterectomy Thursday!.....Scared!!!

Radical Hyserectomy on Thursday......scared!!!!
Hey all Well my Mac nurse called on Tues after MDT meeting,after looking at MRI's they are going ahead with surgery on Thursday. I'm really hoping that this means the scans show nothing untoward...she said my left kidney was dilated,but could have always been like that. Still petrified when they open me up,take lymph nodes etc that it's going to be worse :-( . Going on Monday foe pre op assessment & to see Surgeon on Tuesday. Just want it over & done with....I know it may not be the end of it,may need more treatment etc...willing to take all they throw at me as long as they get the little swine thats invading my body out!!!! Staying as strong & positive as I can....but sometimes my thoughts stray to the worse case scenario :-( . I have a wonderful supportive husband & an amazing 5yr old daughter. Any advice etc from any ladies been in similar situation would be most welcome :-) . Thank you xx K x

Hi Monkey

Please do not worry bout your op. Our imaginations are far worse than reality!!

Iam 3 weeks post op and whilst it wasn't a walk in the park it was a relief to get it over with and am feelin fine.

The best advice i can give is listen to doc, nurses and physio they certainly made sure i was clean mobile and free from pain.

Biggest problems for me were wind and constipation!!! Peppermint tea will become your fav tipple and the toilet your best friend!! It doesn't last long but wish someone had told me beforehand!

Feel free to mssg me if you think of anything thats bothering you and i will help if i can x

Best of Luck and hang on in there it will be worth it in the long run

Kathx

Hi Monkey

I am 3 months post surgery now and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought - I hope that gives some reassurance.  I had my procedure keyhole and was out of hospital in 3 days/ 2 nights and back on the school run after a week.  I did shuffle about like an old lady for a couple of weeks but I was pleasantly surprised and thought it would have been much worse.  My biggest problem was trying to get my sexy DVT stockings on and off because I couldn't bend over enough to reach my feet!  With a bit of planning and innovation I could do most things though, just very slowly! 

I suffered from bad constipation and wind post op so can definitely recommend lots of fibre and peppermint tea.  I also had leaking lymph fluid post op which wasn't overly pleasant and had to wear sanitary pads for 10 days or so.  I'd make sure you are stocked up on painkillers too, the pain wasn't bad but I did try to take the recommended doses and keep on top of it.  Also check you have lots of comfy clothes to wear, including nightwear and trousers without waist bands. They need to be baggy because your stomach swells up after the op, but don't worry it does go back down to pre op levels again :o) All in all, the op got rid of my cancer so I figured I could put up with any unpleasant side-effects and they weren't that bad considering.

I had to wait 6 weeks for my op which was really stressful and gave me lots of time to worry.  So I'm really glad they have booked you in quickly.  But I guess that doesn't give lots of time to prepare and get used to the idea...

Regarding what else may be there I had a 1B1 adeno-carcinoma 1.5 cm without clear margins from Lletz.  However, when they performed the op there was NO SIGN of any cancer remaining and my lymph nodes etc were all clear.  So I spent 6 weeks worrying myself silly and there was nothing there!!! So hopefully your news will be just as good.  I opted to have my ovaries removed too and maybe they would have been fine now I know that there were no other signs of cancer.  However, I wanted to minimise my risk of recurrence and don't regret that decision one bit.  If you have opted for the same, be aware that you can start HRT straight after surgery and don't need to wait until you have started the menopause and got symptoms.

After 3 months I am still exhausted and a bit emotional - work is a struggle.  But I feel very lucky and count my blessings every single day. 

Having two young girls I can understand how you must feel but you'll get through this just fine :o) There's plenty of support on Jo's and if you have any questions or want any advice feel free to PM me. 

Wishing you all the best!

Take care

Kirsty xx

Thank you ladies for all your help & advice......peppermint tea it is then & big knickers!! I have never been in hospital apart from having my daughter so all weird to me! I don't care what it takes,how long it takes,what they do as long as I can kick the cancer's ugly butt!!!! My 'chins' are up & I'm ready for the fight....so bring it on!! Much love K xxx Will try & keep you updated :-) xxxx

Thank you ladies for all your help & advice......peppermint tea it is then & big knickers!! I have never been in hospital apart from having my daughter so all weird to me! I don't care what it takes,how long it takes,what they do as long as I can kick the cancer's ugly butt!!!! My 'chins' are up & I'm ready for the fight....so bring it on!! Much love K xxx Will try & keep you updated :-) xxxx

That's the attitude!  It's such a relief when the op is over and you're on the road to recovery... it won't be long for you now :-)

Make sure you put your feet up and let everyone take good care of you.

All the best xxx

God you op has come round quick, (I know you from McMillan site) I really hope that all goes well, and just to let you know I shall be thinking of you all day long, so hugs til then xxxxx

AmyK

Hi

Just a message of support. I expect you have had your op by now and really hope it all went OK. I had my op on 17 Dec and came home for Xmas. Can't pretend that it was easy but every day is a step forward. Try and stay positive and don't rush things. I am still sore and walking like a little old lady! Take all the help and support from friends and family and admit when you feel down. I spent too long putting on a brave face.

Take care xxx

Hiya all just realised I never updated this post.... I was not being rude it all went a bit mad!!! Mt hystectomy wascancelled the day before...when my surgeon did my examination the little bugger had slightly spread into my left pelvic wall....so now 2B. To cut a long story short I am now due to start my chemo/rads & brachy 13th feb! Thanks for all your replies! The fight is still on get the swine!! Xxx

Hope the start of your treatment went well :) I was also changed from 1B1 to 2A minimum, but waiting for final staging on results following my Rad Hyst on the 4th Feb.  Benn wondering how you were doing so logged in to find out hope your kicking its butt good and truly xxxxxxxx

Hiya Amelia lovely to here from you! Treatment going ok so far thanks…touch wood! I’m just starting my 3rd week…to be honest it’s gone quite quick! Felt sicky first week…but as soon as I took sickness pills was ok :slight_smile: quite tired but not all the time :wink: sure it could be a lot worse…so keeping fingers crossed! :). Anyway Hun how are you doing…any results as yet?? Let me know how you get on…keeping everything crossed for you!!! Xxxxxx