Radical Hysterectomy this Thursday - Scared

Good evening all; I’m reaching out because I figured it was a good idea as I’m absolutely terrified of my upcoming radical hysterectomy scheduled this coming Thursday 3/28 at 3:00 PM Arizona time. I am 35 years old and a mother of 2 boys; 11 and 9. I was just recently married to my best friend and love of my life 3/9 and diagnosed with stage 1 cervical cancer 2/24. I finally have the life I want and now I have to undergo this major invasive radical hysterectomy and I’m so scared. I’ve been crying in the shower and just not myself the last week; as the days keep getting closer and closer. I’m mostly scared of the surgery. I’ve never had surgery before so I’m not sure what to expect. I know the invasive surgery and vertical incision from bottom of pelvis to belly button is what’s going to taken place as my surgeon explained this is the best way to ensure the cancer is gone and does not come back or spread later on. I’ve had all the tests, ultra sound, cone biopsy, ct scan, blood tests and MRI; he doesn’t believe it has gotten into my Lympenodes but in his words “has left the parking lot and is on the freeway making its way to them” so we need to get this out asap, he continued.

He did mention the reason he won’t do a less invasive surgery such as robotic and/or Indoscoptic is because this one confirms and has the best rate for not coming back. I’m just so scared; I keep thinking… what if I don’t wake up; what if I bleed out; what if, what if… how hard is the recovery… dr says 12 weeks. He’s removing my uterus, cervix, upper vagina, tubes, and repositioning my ovaries so if I do need radiation after surgery (praying not) it will not kill my ovaries putting me into early menopause.

It’s so scary how fast it came too. I have a normal pap 2 years ago and then when my husband and I (boyfriend 6 months ago) decided we wanted to try for a baby of our own and I wasn’t having any luck getting pregnant; decided to get checked and my eggs counted and such… then bam!! They find this. I’m so blessed and tell him all the time you really were my angel because who knows what would have happened if I didn’t meet you and were trying to get pregnant.

Any advice from my other ladies out there on the surgery itself and what I can expect; please let me know. I unfortunately made the dumb mistake of looking up a video on YouTube and well now; I can’t get that picture out of my head of what my body is going to look like. As you can see my anxiety is sooo bad and I’m just so terrified. I’d greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thank you all, god bless you and we are some bad ass women, we got this and will continue to be survivors. :pray:t2::heart:

Brittni - Yuma, Arizona
Xoxoxox

@Bmgaudette i understand your anxiety. I was diagnosed with stage 1 cc in November. Had my radical hyster December 8. I had a bikini incision, much like a C-section. Again, my doctor said open surgery is the best way to make sure there is no recurrence. Anyway, recovery for me wasn’t too bad. I honestly felt pretty good after about 3 weeks and able to walk for exercise at about 4 weeks. Just take it easy after surgery. I’m sure you are in good hands. The surgeon left my ovaries and did not move them, and after the pathology came back I did require radiation and chemo bc the cancer had spread to the parametrium. It all is awful and such a terrible disease, but all this is completely doable. I finished my treatment March 1 and I’m back to exercising and getting back to my new normal. You can do this! I’m sorry you have to go through this, but that scar will remind you always of how you beat cancer… that’s what I tell myself whenever I look down. Please feel free to reach out with any questions!

1 Like