Radical Hysterectomy Recovery

Hi

It's been a few months now since my treatment - a radical hysterectomy. 

The surgery went very well, should have cured my cancer and had no complications.  I'm not expecting things to be back to 'normal' post-treatment but I am still finding things a struggle.  I have two young children and started back at work 25 hours a week part-time after Christmas.  

I generally feel positive for the future but I feel so tired, exhausted and generally grumpy at the moment.  I'm struggling to focus or concentrate on anything and work is already really stressing me out. I had an entire week of migraines last week, already I can feel one starting ahead of going to work tomorrow :o( My leg is stiff and I can't find the time or energy to exercise.  The initial recovery from surgery was quick but it seems to be taking a long time to fully recover and bounce back.

I feel lucky and don't mean to moan.  I just wondered if anyone has any advice or can share their stories?  Am I expecting too much?

Best wishes

Kirsty x

Hi Kirsty

sorry to hear you're not recovering as you would like. Just wondered if you have started HRT?

Louise xx

Hello

Yes I started getting menopausal symptoms (hot flushes etc) within a couple of weeks of the surgery and went straight onto HRT.  I am on a low dose of Elleste - the doc didn't want to put me on a high dose because of my migraine history.

How did you find things after your RH?

Best wishes

Kirsty x

Hi there khal92l, so sorry that you are struggling, i  had an RH in June so i have and idea what you are going through, you've been through a awful lot your hormones are probally all over the shop but you could also be suffering from reactive depression, speak to your GP and see what he/she thinks.  Hope things look brighter soon. take care.

julieix

Hi Julie/Louise

Thank you both for your replies.  I have seen my GP who has suggested that my HRT dose may be too low, so we are increasing it and will review in a few weeks.  I am only on a low dose of HRT because my original GP didn't want to over do it so that may not be helping matters.  I'm aware that I've been through quite a lot in the past 6 months and won't necessarily bounce back just yet... but I'm keen to try!  I'm already on other medication for anxiety/depression as a result of diagnosis (I was a bit of a mess between diagnosis and surgery I'm afraid!) but am looking positively to the future and enjoying life again.  I just need a bit more energy to do it!

Best wishes

Kirsty