Radical Hysterectomy and Terrified

Hello ladies, I have found this forum to be a great source of comfort over the last week.  I have read through many of the threads multiple times.  

I was diagnosed with endocervical adenocarcinoma on February 19, 2021.  I had a PET scan on Feb. 23, and then had a follow up with the oncologist yesterday, Feb. 26.  Based on the PET scan, my current staging is 1B1, and I am scheduled for a radical hysterectomy on March 8.  I have had trouble with anxiety my entire life, and the week between diagnosis and scan results was the most horrible week of my life.  I felt tremendous relief after hearing that the PET scan only showed a small area of cancer confined to the cervix, my early staging is 1b, and that there is a good chance that surgery will take care of it all.  However, I am already starting to panic about the small chance that more cancer could be discovered in surrounding tissue or lymph nodes.

My oncologist said there is a less than 5% chance of this happening, but still....  How do you all keep the anxiety at bay?  How do you stay positive and get out of your own head?

I'm so thankful I found this forum, as you are some of the most positive and encouraging ladies I have come across since diagnosis!

Hello Ivorykeys26

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis and your anxiety. Whilst I do not share the same diagnosis I have had to learn to manage my anxiety. Different people manage anxiety differently but I can recommend staying off google, keeping busy, fresh air at least 10 minutes a day, the headspace app which has sections on dealing with cancer and managing uncertainty and anxiety, talking about how you feel; Jo's helpline and MacMillan helpline, your CNS if you have been assigned one, being prepared on a practical level for your operation and afterwards, focussing on what you can control not what you can't control, journaling to vent feelings and venting on here. I also try to feel grateful that there is a health service which can treat me. Anxiety is fear of what might happen, fear of the unknown. You say you felt a sense of relief at the results of your PET scan and that was because you had facts. Once you have had your operation and more tests you will again have more facts and will then hopefully feel more certain of your treatment plan. I hope this helps you a bit. Big hugs A x

Hi ivorykeys

Cervical cancer 'journey' wise, where you are right now is probably one of the worst times for feeling anxious although you've already had the relief of knowing you could well be looking at a surgical cure. 

Like you, I was offered a radical hysterectomy and one of my ways of  coping included calling the Jo's helpline - just to hear the voice of someone who could really understand what I was going through was very grounding for me.  My other way of coping was to keep very busy - I had a very demanding full-time job then and I worked up until the day before my first surgery (pelvic lymphadenectomy); other times, if I found myself dwelling on things and spiralling down I just found something to do - doesn't matter what - a bit of cleaning usually helped me.

Hope all goes well for you.

x

Hi

Just wanted to send you some love and let you know I'm thinking of you. They're on the ball with all your diagnosis and treatment so I'm sure you'll be just fine...but we all assume the worst about ourselves!

Look after yourself xxx

Hi IvoryKeys26,

I am also scheduled for a Radical Hysterectomy on March 9th. My Cone Biopsy revealed 1a1 Adenocarcinoma so I know exactly what you are feeling at the moment. The worrying and anxiety is nothing I have ever gone through! I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!

Kristin

Hi IvoryKeys26,

I was also diagonsed with Adenocarcinoma and scheduled for a Radical Hysterectomy March 9th.  I know exactly how you are feeling.  I have never had to deal with so much anxiety and worry!  It's overwhelming.  I just wanted to send you a message that you are not alone!

Kristin

Thanks so much, ladies.  I'm sorry I'm just now responding, but this week has been a bit hectic trying to prepare for surgery.  My anxiety has been a bit better the past few days, which is nice.  I am trying to keep busy and feed myself positive thoughts.  55 - You're absolutely right.  The anxiety is a fear of the unknown, and I am working on trying to calm that instinct.  And Jazza - I'm in the United States, so I'm not sure about calling the help line.  I did just discover that a friend (whom I haven't seen in a few years) is going through her own cancer journey.  We just reconnected yesterday and will be chatting tomorrow, which I think will be helpful.  And thank you for the encouragement Woody87.  It is much appreciated!

IvoryKeys26,

I'm also in the US (Kentucky). Good Luck with your surgery on Monday!

Hi Ivorykeys26, 

I only got to read your post today and it's the date of your surgery 8th March, well the 9th now it's after midnight. Anyway I just wanted to say that I hope that all went well. I was in the same boat as you in 2013/14. I had lymph nodes removed in nov 2013 and a radical hysterectomy in 2014Jan , for 1B2 cervical cancer. Since then I went to all of my follow up appointments and all were good. I have a slight bit of lymphedema in one thigh but it has remained the same for years. I did have one other swollen lymph node removed, no cancer cells,  since in maybe 2017. I am now discharged. I just wanted to let you know there is light at the end of the tunnel even though it seems hard now it does get easier thankfully. Hope you recover soon, give yourself time. 

Hello I had my radical Hysterectomy and lymph-node removal In January. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer 1b2 . I was in hospital for six days and came home with a catheter bag for 10 days. The first few days are the worst But once you get out of hospital and the bag gets removed you feel much better. I am 8 weeks post surgery and feel so much like my old self. My scars are really neat and not as bad as I thought they would be, Get some meds for the wind pain after surgery as this is uncomfortable, wishing you a successful treatment and be reassured that the staff will take care of you x x sending you big hugs 

Hello I had my radical Hysterectomy and lymph-node removal In January. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer 1b2 . I was in hospital for six days and came home with a catheter bag for 10 days. The first few days are the worst But once you get out of hospital and the bag gets removed you feel much better. I am 8 weeks post surgery and feel so much like my old self. My scars are really neat and not as bad as I thought they would be, Get some meds for the wind pain after surgery as this is uncomfortable, wishing you a successful treatment and be reassured that the hospital is look after you.

Thanks again, ladies.  All went well with my surgery, and I got the all clear last Friday.  :)  The actually downgraded me to stage 1a2, which was great.  KristinH - I'm glad to see things went well for you.  I am in Tennessee, so not too far away!  And thank you so much for the message Gardenergirl.  It's always nice to see such long term positive stories like yours.

That is great to hear that everything went so well. Time to heal and look forward. I am so delighted for you. 

How did your surgery go Kristin H? Hope everything went well