Question about radiation, advice please

Just to say that adenocarcinomas seem to be more likely to have a ‘cocktail’ rather than just cisplatin, which is standard for squamous cell and does not make you lose your hair. You will however lose the hair down below with the radiotherapy/brachytherapy but it will grow back, I can reassure you :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you that makes sense, I’m sure it will be fine when I get used to it but right now it’s fear of the unknown. Xx

Of course it is. It’s a bit messy, TBH and not the nicest thing to have to do, but better to go along with things if you can. Obviously if there’s any problem let them know - they will have heard EVERYTHING before, so be as candid as you can be, so that your team can help you best. :blush:

1 Like

Hi

I am 7 weeks post treatment and I did not have to have an enema prior to treatment and neither did of the other women being treated at the same time as me. My treatment was done in Edinburgh.

I’m Glasgow. Xx

Hi Steffi,

I didn’t have ultrasounds to check bladder either. Was told to go to toilet then drink approx 300ml of water approx 30 minutes before scan. I did this at home as I was only 15 minutes away from hospital so when I arrived I was taken straight away.

When does your treatment start?

1 Like

I don’t know yet have called the CNS again today. Waiting on a call back. Still waiting on a PET scan and oncologist appt. They said I should start quickly after these, fingers crossed xx

Wow, AMF - you seem to have had less constraints with your radiotherapy in Scotland. I had mine at University College Hospital in London, and we had enemas and ultrasounds as if they were a religious observance! I was even asked to pee certain amounts in a paper cup if my bladder was too full - the funniest one was 7/8ths of a cup. :roll_eyes::face_with_raised_eyebrow::joy:

1 Like

Yes it does seem odd that different hospitals within the UK have different procedures. I’ve read that some hospitals require you to weigh your urine on chemo days again none of that in Edinburgh. By the sounds of it I got off lightly :joy:

It was a girl I follow on Instagram who also has CC that I seen post about the enema, so must be a location thing. I will update yous when it’s my turn and let yous know if I need to or not xx

I also don’t get much restraints during radiation. The only time I had to do the enema was during the mapping. Then every time go they just asked me to drink 2cups of water. But I’m based here in the US. I am currently on my first chemo infusion right now.

Yes, indeed we were given jugs and had to measure our pee during the first hour of water infusion. If we didn’t produce at least 200mls of pee in the first hour, we were not allowed the chemo, as it would mean we were too dehydrated….

Hi I’m having daily radiotherapy atm and I have to do enemas 2 hours before.some days I don’t if I’ve just been.They are only gentle ones so not too bad really xx

2 Likes

Hi guys. Just coming back here to update you all. I’ve had my first chemo yesterday and it went surprisingly well. I guess it’s the premeds and steroids and IV fluids. I was also able to sleep a lot last night despite the steroids but it’s also because I’m still taking those sedative pain killers. Woke up this morning all fine and just took the zofran anti nausea as scheduled even I don’t feel sick. Hopefully it goes on like this. Thank you so much for all your tips and support. I’ve asked for 2 blankets which helped and also brought myself some snacks. All in all it was a good day. So for all those who are scared for their first chemo I hope this helps. Lots of love to you all.xx

3 Likes

Oh I’m based here in the US and so far the only time I had to do enema for scans was during the mapping and just told me to drink 2 cups before each radiation. Never had to measure pee as well during chemo.

1 Like