Put off smear over 10 years!

Hi, I just wanted to give my experience because I couldn't find anything online to support me. Grew up in a home where we didn't talk about periods, sex or smear tests. Always ignored my invites until I met my boyfriend (now husband) and he encouraged me to go for my first smear when I was 27 - 13 years ago. All clear. Two years later started trying for a family and suffered a miscarriage. Subsequently went on to fall pregnant the following year and in that time the last thing I wanted was to risk having a smear if I could be pregnant at any point. 

Suffered a traumatic birth with my son and was literally poked and prodded for nearly 24 hours. Smear was still outstanding as I recovered. Suffered terrible post natal anxiety with little support. The idea of anyone putting a speculum inside me after my first birth was just horrific.

Three years later I had my daughter.  Smear still outstanding by 10 years. 

But now I have a daughter and I started thinking I need to normalise woman's health. My son and daughter need to grow up in a world where going for a smear is perfectly normal and encouraged. Like going to your GP for a blood pressure check or the flu jag. 

So 13 years after my first smear I booked it at the GP. Got an appointment early in the morning, and as soon as possible, so I didn't worry too much and ultimately cancel the appointment. I worried for three days. Finally the day came. I hadn't told my husband. I was nervous. I told the nurse my worries (on the brink of tears) she was brilliant and understood, but also had the attitude of a smear is completely normal and she couldn't care what I looked like. She also reassured me I was in full control and could stop at any point. It was over in a couple of minutes. Less than three weeks later I got my results and thankfully no HPV. I'll be recalled in 5 years. 

What I found the most difficult was everything I read basically made out because I had put it off for so long I was going to have a positive result. At one point I considered just withdrawing from the screening altogether. Everything I read made out like it was inevitable I was going to have abnormal cells or worse. 

A woman can put her smear off for whatever reason and can still have a normal result. 

My main point is, book the test and get it over with!

I couldn't help but laugh at myself that I had decided in the midst of a pandemic I had decided to just go for it and get it out the way. I kept saying to myself pants off, mask on, and get it over with. :)

Good luck to anyone reading this trying to get the courage up. Just go for it. :)

2 Likes

Hello Lynsey well done you and well done to your husband for encouraging you to look after your health!  It's good that you have shared this positive story. I think you're right to try to normalise the conversation in your family. I believe this is one of the ways forward to busting the taboos around women's health. 

Happy Christmas

A x

1 Like

Hi Lynsey

I totally agree that the topic of smear tests needs to be normalised. Since my diagnosis for stage 2 cervical cancer I have done a lot of awareness raising about the importance of smear tests and have probably spoken to over 300 women (+men) on a one to one basis about it - partly to try and normalise having a conversation about smear tests. A lot of the women I've met, who are up to date with smears, often mention that their family (often Mum) or their social network have encouraged them to get smears done but like you (and me) not everyone has that kind of support and in my experience they are less likely to attend for screening. Well done to your lovely husband for supporting you to go for your 1st smear.

I've learnt a lot from my awareness raising; there are numerous reasons why smear tests get delayed and overthinking them can certainly be a significant barrier for getting them. Your suggestion to 'just go for it' is a good one; I was trying to encourage one very reluctant and shy lady by pointing out that making the appointment is very easy at which point it materialised one of her reasons for delaying was that she thought she would have to call her surgery at 8am and wait in a queue to get an appointment to see the GP - I pointed out that booking a smear test can be made any time of the day (including on line) and that she would be seen by a nurse and not a GP - she was pleased to know that.

On a note of caution; don't ever stop getting your smear tests. I kept up to date with mine up to the age of 47y and then stopped; there were a range of reasons for this one of which was complacency because I'd always had normal results.

x

2 Likes

Hi guys,

like yourself i have put off my smear (never had one was too embarressed when i was younger and the longer i left it the more anxious i became) i finally plucked up the courage to do it today and the nurse is going to call me week before to reassure me a bit. So its not for a few weeks so i just need to put my head down and get on with it. I completely agree with all this should be normalised, i never talked about this kind of thing with my mum or my sister and its so silly. As soon as we talk about it i think the stigma of embarressment and fear will be reduced.

Take care.

2 Likes

Good luck with your smear. Well done for getting the courage to book it too. Tell the nurse how you are feeling and what it is that makes you nervous. Honestly, once it’s over you’ll realise it was nothing to worry about.

Remember you are doing this for you and your own health. It’s so important we look after ourselves. And it’s only once every three to five years. The nurse won’t even blink twice when she carries our the smear.

And Remember at any time if you are uncomfortable tell your nurse. You are in full control at all times.

Please keep me updated and let me know if you need some support.

Big hugs to you :hugs:

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll be sure to let you know. My mind keeps wandering to worst case scenarios because I’ve never been before and I need to keep checking myself. The brain is a tricky thing! Thanks for replying xx

1 Like

Well done for getting the courage to go for your smear test! I think women should be screened/tested every 6 months regardless of results.

Anything can change within a few weeks or months x

3 Likes

Just thought I’d pop on to let you know how I got on. I spoke to the nurse the week before and she was so lovely and I felt more at ease. I’m surprised at how calm I felt in the run up to it tbh even today up until I got it done.
The worst part I think was relaxing so the speculum could go in, she actually had to go from the small speculum to the smaller one and then back again as I found it hard to relax. My cervix seems to be quite far back and facing back I think she said, so I had to put my fists under my bum and turn to the side. Just felt ticklish when she was taking the sample.
It’s all done, not quite what I expected as I thought she’d be in and out but heyho, relaxation is key. Praying for good results now. Xx

Aww fantastic. Well done. You should feel super proud of yourself. Amazing.

I hope you took yourself for a celebratory treat afterwards. Cake worked for me. :blush:.

Well done. And best wishes that everything is OK.

2 Likes

Just popping on here to let you know, got my results today and all clear and will be invited back in 5 years. :slightly_smiling_face: I feel like I have accomplished something I was so scared of and I will never let it pass again that’s for sure. It honestly isn’t that bad. Thank you for always responding to me :slightly_smiling_face: xx

3 Likes

Well done for getting you smear done.
My smear done in 2013 showed CIN3 cells and HPV. Thankfully the treatment worked and I have been clear for 6 years since being given the all clear.
I hate to admit it but my 2013 smear had been the first one in quite a while. End of 2009 I left my abusive husband and that marriage affected me mentally at the time and I can’t remember when I had a smear test done before 2013. Bad thing to say now but life got in the way and I really do regret ignoring the letters inviting me for a smear test.
I do raise awareness on social media about the need to go for smear tests when called for one but not sure if it makes a lot of difference.
Just wish some women wouldn’t see getting a smear test as a waste of time as they are embarrassed or don’t have any symptoms. I didnt have any symptoms at all

1 Like