Premature birth after trachelectomy

Hi Ladies

This is the first time I’m writing on a forum but I really need some advice. I had a radical trachelectomy in March 2015. Luckily it didn’t go into my lymph nodes so I didn’t need any chemotherapy. Just before the operation I had emergency IVF where we only managed to get one embryo. The reason why they think it didn’t work well was because I have polycystic ovaries and they didn’t want to overstimulate the ovaries before the big operation. For 5 or so years up to that point I had various lletz treatments having been told I had HPV 16. Since then I have been told that I may have issues conceiving and also have a higher risk of a premature baby. They put a stitch in during the operation however it has dropped slightly and is visible.

We had to wait 6 months after the op to start trying. Quite honestly it was hard to get back into it as I struggled mentally with everything that had happened. We’ve been trying since then with no success. I have had a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy a few weeks ago to see if there were any blockages which there weren’t. I was told the lining of my womb was thin which was a concern. Since then I have been doing acupuncture as I’ve heard that can help which it has. I asked my oncologist if having a trachelectomy affects the lining of the womb but they have no data. I am going to start IVF imminently but my fertility consultant is nervous and wants to make sure that I fully understand I have a high risk of a premature birth. She has mentioned surrogacy which is obviously complicated in the UK. There doesn’t seem to be any data about women who have had trachelectomies who go to full term and I wondered whether any of you had any experiences you could share with me. How far along did you get to? Do you have any tips/advice? I would be very grateful for any help.

Thank you all very much.

Hello,

i had trachelectomy done in jun 2015 and i am 32 week pregnat. it has been difficult time because the ceclage is painful due to baby weight. I did have any other problems. The doctor want to C- section at 37 weeks.

Hi

I'm so sorry to hear you have having such a rough time.

I might be a bit late now with my reply, but if its any help i carried to 38 weeks (which is considered term) and had a planned c section. I could have gone longer but the doctor didnt want me going into labour.

I was on progesterone for a long time which helps to reduce early contractions and helps produce cervical mucus to help reduce the risk of infection. I was also off work from 28 weeks and spent a lot of time on the sofa keeping pressure off my cerclage. I also didnt have sex or take a bath or go swimming, to also help reduce the chances of infection. 

I was scanned every other week throughout my pregnacy to see if there were any changes to the cervical stump which was left after the op.

I would see if you can google up any other doctors you can go to who have a bit of a history of dealing with trachelectomy - on the NHS you can also choose who you see - it might be worth you shopping around so to speak!

wishing you all the very best with your journey