Pregnancy after lletz?

Hiya

I had lletz treatment nearly 3 weeks ago, and the results have come back CIN 1 removed successfully with clear margins (yay!) This whole process terrified me into thinking I wouldn't be able to cope if anything affected my fertility, so my boyfriend and I have decided to have a baby as soon as possible. My gyno suggested we wait 6 months so my cervix can fully heal after the lletz, but I told him I can't possibly wait that long so he has suggested that we "try to wait 3 or 4 months" to have the best chance of a safe / successful pregnancy.

Does anyone have any experiences of pregnancy post lletz? Do you think waiting 3 months is okay, or we should push for 4/5 months? I am DESPERATE for a baby but at the same time of course want to do the sensible thing. Would appreciate any advice / stories. Thanks lovely ladies.

xXx

Aug 2013 - turned 25, clear smear result
Jan 2015 - smear taken as part of routine 'full body' health check-up - results show HPV 16 high risk, and CIN 1 confirmed
Jan 2015 - colposcopy, CIN 2 confirmed, biopsy taken - results inconclusive, return in 6 months for another colposcopy
July 2015 - 6 mth repeat colposcopy - abnormal cells seen, biopsy taken, and smear
July 2015 - smear results show HPV 16 moderate changes, biopsy result inconclusive (again) - lletz carried out. 
July 2015 - Lletz results showed CIN 1, removed with clear margins. Check-up smear in 6 months. 

Hiya, that's great it was removed successfully! I had a lletz to remove cin2 in 2013 - and have just had my first baby. I had no issues at all, baby was full term. I did mention my lletz to the midwife as I'd heard they check your cervix to see if it's strong enough, but she assured me that wouldn't be necessary and that it wouldn't be an issue.

From what I've heard, it's more likely to affect your chances of carrying a baby full term if you had a lot removed or if you've had multiple procedures (and even then they can give you a cervical stitch to strength things) neither of which apply to your case.

I'm not an expert obviously but I'd say you'd be fine. Don't know about the waiting time before trying to conceive but if it's been okayed by your doc then it should be fine?

Good luck and hope this helps!

Hi,

One of the reasons they suggest waiting is because after 6 months you'll have your 'test of cure' smear. Most ladies are successfully treated with LLETZ first time, and the follow up smear confirms the outcome of the treatment. Occasionally there can be situations where abnormalities remain and further treatment is required. Ultimately of course any decision as to when to start trying will be yours, as long as you're comfortable with not waiting first for your 'test of cure' smear to have that certainty.

I know a couple of ladies who had babies successfully after treatment with no problems.

All the best to you. 

Hi Sophie,

you should listen to your gynaecologist, becauhe he is the ONLY person who knows how much of the cervix he took during the LLETZ. My gynae told me (after my 2nd LLETZ treatment in 2years) that I could start my IVF 2 months after. It really depends. In your case, I would suggest waiting the recommended 6 months :-). Lets be honest, the 3 months will  not make any difference... Good luck! x

Hi ladies,
I tried to reply to this the other day and kept getting an error message telling me I was blocked incase it was spam (eek) so Jo's trust have sorted it out and I'm able to post again. Really appreciate your responses. I think we will wait 4-5 months as I just can't quite manage 6, I'm so desperate to have a baby now, and also I think that having been on the pill for years it can take a little time to get pregnant so even if I come off the pill after 4/5 months it'll probably be nearer 6 months when I'm pregnant. I was literally TERRIFIED that my fertility would be affected so I'm desperate to have a baby as soon as possible now.
xXx