Post treatment nausea

Hey all,

im 10 weeks post radio and chemo treatment for stage 1b2 cc. On HRT but that's the only tablet I'm taking at the moment. I have constant nausea, not actually throwing up but just that niggling feeling in the pit of the stomach. Was wondering if anyone else has/had this and how long theirs lasted? I'm hoping it goes away at some point but I'm worried this is going to be the way I feel for the rest of my life.

TIA

Hi Tia,

Yes, I had the exact same issue and definitely around the same time. It lasted for months. I was actually accused of "lying" because the doctor said I was gaining weight. But nausea is NOT the same thing as vomiting and I was constantly trying to get that nauseating feeling to go away by eating heavy carbs, like chips, crackers, and lots of bread products. It was horrible, I do feel for you. My doctor never could give me a reason for this or even find any reason really. The good news is it did stop, I don't actually remember the exact day but it seems like a distant memory now. I hope you feel better. This treatment is so hard on our bodies and nobody understands until they go through it.

Angela 

Hi

I didn't have nausea after my treatment but I did seem to feel chronically thirsty.  I was checked out for diabetes etc but all the tests came back negative.  The chronic thirst feeling did eventually go away and looking back I wonder if there was a  psychological reason for it - just don't know.  As elliottand daisy says the treatment is very hard on out bodies - there's much healing to be done afterwards.

x

Thank you and Jazza for replying to my post!

Yeh the docs have said it could be a number of things but I'm still only early days post treatment so it's to be expected.

im glad to hear it does go away.. even if it's eventually! It doesn't stop me from physically doing anything, just a constant niggle feeling that I would like to not have haha! 
but you have definitely put my mind at ease that everything is normal and I will have to just live with this new normal for a while ☺️
thansk again!!! 

I had constant nausea for quite a while, possibly close to a year (sorry). But the good news is it did go away and it's very seldom now that I get it. I do think a lot of mine was to do with the high doses of iron I was on.

x Maria

Hi there! I am a new member and currently 3.5 months post treatment. Chemo, radiotherapy, brachytherapy… (ugh). I have experienced a lot of nausea and retching, but it has gradually got better. After the first radiotherapy session I had a bumpy ride home for an hour (hospital transport) started a cup of tea - which I would normally love - and felt immediately nauseous. My son had cooked my favourite stir fry, of which I took one mouthful and spent the next 3.5 hours retching over the toilet…. I am a gastric bypass patient so the low fibre diet required on radiotherapy itself made me nauseous. I had stage 3c2, so the pelvic and para-aortic lymph nodes were cancerous, so the whole abdomen including stomach was irradiated. Contracted sepsis after a urinary infection following brachytherapy and catheterisation and was pumped full of 4 antibiotics. Result = unable to drink water without feeling nauseous, anti-nausea meds made me retch, the foulest taste in my mouth permanently and I lost quite a lot of weight. I concluded that the antibiotics and radiation had killed off every bacteria in my gut, including the good stuff - so once finished the antibiotics I started taking strong pre- and pro-biotics, and found a mouthwash I could tolerate….

I can tell you there were plenty of times I thought I would never eat normally again. Gradually my stomach started to improve and I was able to tolerate more foods. I started trying anything I fancied - if it had a bad reaction I didn’t try it again, if it went down okay I’d add to the ‘good to go’ list. Had a brief setback with an infected bite needing antibiotics, but the probiotics kicked in again. I posted on Facebook in triumph when I could drink a cup of tea again! My favourite Pepsi Max cherry (with ice) is now a delight again. There are still days when some foods a make me a bit nauseous, and I’ve learned to make small changes if things don’t go down right - but it’s getting better all the time. I can now enjoy stir fry again and for breakfast a bowl of fresh fruit bowl goes down really well. I seriously think that if I hadn’t taken the probiotics it would have taken me a lot longer to get my appetite back. I’m sure there are lots of us out there who experience these things and think we’re the only ones - because you’re really not told enough about what to expect. The bowel issues are another matter of course, but not even being able to drink water without forcing yourself is really quite traumatic. I feel for anyone out there going through the same thing - there is hope, even though I didn’t think there was when I was going through it! X

1 Like