Post op swollen tummy

Hi girls,

i've just returned home from hospital after keyhole hysterectomy on Tuesday. All went ok apart from some minor bleeding and bp problems, but my tummy represents that of someone full term. I  would swell a bit but I didn't realise it would be quite so big. Did anyone else have such a reaction and will it go back down again? 

I know it's a small price to pay, but I'm really paranoid that it'll stay huge, and I have nothing that fits!

sorry for sounding so trivial.

helen x

Hey Helen,

Well done on getting home :slight_smile: Such a great feeling isn’t it?

I had the open hysterectomy, and still have swelling. But everyone is different so it could be gone in a few days or it may take longer. I imagine with keyhole it won’t be too swollen for too long but hopefully someone who knows can answer that :slight_smile:

Get plenty of rest and do little walks when you can manage it. It’ll right itself soon enough. Could be that you have some gas too, what with that, the operation and the medication it sends the best of us into a bit of a belly pickle!

You’re still in very early stages so don’t worry too much just yet. Live in your PJs for a bit.

Hope you’re not feeling too bad, tummy aside. Every day things get better.

Xx

check it out with the doc I did not swell that much x 

Hi Helen

I had a keyhole hysterectomy last Sept.  I swelled up quite a lot too so please don't worry it is normal!!! I was upset that I looked pregnant for a while.  Not sure whether it was the gas they pump in or swelling due to the surgery - it took several weeks to go down and was very gradual. After a couple of months though it was back to normal (much to my disappointment - I wanted it to go down further!!).

I lived in trackie bottoms and leggings for a while... with lots of long tops.  It will go down so please don't fret.  Take it easy and take your recovery slowly, one step at a time.  Every day is a milestone and gets easier and easier.

Hope you are otherwise recovering well :o)

Best wishes

Kirsty

Thanks ladies

It's gone down a bit still very swollen

I guess I just need to take it one day at a time and not to expect too much Too Soon

Hi Helen,

Swelling was one of the things that really bothered me after surgery. I'm 6 weeks post op and still get a bit of swelling now and then but the main swelling took about 2 weeks to go. Once you are allowed to have a bath I would recommend bathing in Epsom Salts. Amazing stuff for swelling and also makes your skin really soft!  I hope the rest of your recovery goes well. I'm back to work tomorrow and can't believe how quickly it has gone. So make sure you look after yourself and get plenty of rest. Tess xx 

Hi Helen,

I had my radical hysterectomy on the 17th April this year and the swelling of the tummy is normal, It will be a mixture of the gas & the surgery. I found when i was able to go for short walks my tummy muscles would tighten up & that made my tummy look worse lol but its only cause of the sitting around when you get home and you have to remember now that your insides are like...what's going on here there use to be more here. The swelling will go down i promise,so don't worry. Am back to work part time just. So listen to your body and take things at your own pace.

good luck with everything.

Adele x

Hi ladies

I thought i'd let you know that it most certainly wasn't normal.

I woke up 4 days post op with a fever and feeling awful. Saw out of hours gp (it being a bank holiday weekend and all) who prescribed antibiotics as I told her I feared I was bleeding internally and I was worried about Sepsis. After 4 days on augmentin I felt no better, probably worse if I could remember the days - I still have some memory loss of that weekend. I got an emergency appointment with my consultant on the wednesday (ended up being palmed off to a registrar). They didn't believe I'd had a fever all weekend or that the bruising and swelling were worsening (my stomach had ballooned and was blacky purple all over). I requested a blood test to put my mind at ease (and a scan to which they said there was no need as I couldn't be bleeding and still talking to them). Blood test showed I was severely anaemic and needed a blood transfusion urgently, and that my infection markers were raised and I was in severe Sepsis. So rushed to A&E and admitted for IV antibiotics, blood, scans (funnily enough they found a slow bleed and some blood clots that had caused blood poisoning). If I'd left it and taken their word that it was fine I would have gone into organ failure.

After over 2 weeks I'm finally home, still on antibiotics, feeling exhausted. This has definitely set back my recovery.

If you are unsure of anything you need to persist to get it checked. Even if it comes back normal. Its better to be safe than sorry.

I've reposted this as a separate thread to hopefully make others aware of post op dangers.

Here's to the rest of the recovery being boring and uneventful!!!

Helen xxx

Oh Helen you poor thing!

Recovery is tough enough without the added drama you’ve had. Well done on sticking to your guns and getting it looked at!

Hope you’re feeling better now and on the mend xx

Oh my! That sounds awful, and the last thing you needed :( I hope you are starting to feel better now and that everything else runs smoothly x