Post LLETZ treatment - questions - new

Hi there,

Had my 2nd smear just before my 28th birthday. Day after my birthday, had a letter confirming both HPV positive and high grade dyskaryosis. Booked my check up appt, asked at the time if they would do any actual treatment, told no! Had my appt on the 04/08/15 where the LLETZ was carried out under LA. I don't react well to LA anyway and wasn't expecting it so felt pretty rough afterwards.

I haven't really had any bleeding since, but, I have had a pretty continuous amount of what I can only describe as discoloured 'liquid'. I know it has only been 5 days, but I am already worried :( Is it normal to have discharge that doesn't resemble blood at all? Also, it definitely has smelt quite noticeably since they did the procedure. At least I notice it even if no one else does :/

Is it infected already? I haven't booked a doctors appt, in honesty, I don't really want anyone else poking around down there :)

Thank you xx 

Hi Bellatrix,

It sounds very normal to me. The liquid is your body healing up plus slightly odd colour from the iodine and vinegar they will have used. After a week or so you may get a few browny black charred bits which is the scab slowly coming off, followed by a little bleeding (mine was never worse than a normal light period flow) which can last a couple of weeks. I found the smell pretty offputting, sort of meaty! Ewww. If you are ever in any doubt, feel feverish or the smell gets really overpowering you may need to see/ speak to your GP incase you have an infection. Most GP's won't want to have a look, and will just give you a course of antibiotics.

big hugs

x

Thank you Suzysooz!

I just wanted to speak to someone that has been through the same thing. Sort of driving myself mad over the 'what ifs'.

It was only really the smell from the discharge that concerned me, but I'm not feverish or in pain, just hope it stops and soon! I look forward to the black bits yet to come lol

xxx

Hiya

I had the coloured liquid also, for around 2 weeks following the lletz. Sometimes dark brown, sometimes bright red, I never really knew what I'd see!! No smell though for me. Hopefully it's just part of the healing process but if it gets worse I'd say definitely run it by your GP, I can't imagine they'd look before prescribing antiobiotics, they'd probably just prescribe them to be on the safe side. Good luck xXx

Aug 2013 - turned 25, clear smear result
Jan 2015 - smear taken as part of routine 'full body' health check-up - results show HPV 16 high risk, and CIN 1 confirmed
Jan 2015 - colposcopy, CIN 2 confirmed, biopsy taken - results inconclusive, return in 6 months for another colposcopy
July 2015 - 6 mth repeat colposcopy - abnormal cells seen, biopsy taken, and smear
July 2015 - smear results show HPV 16 moderate changes, biopsy result inconclusive (again) - lletz carried out. 
July 2015 - Lletz results showed CIN 1, removed with clear margins. Check-up smear in 6 months. 

Oh, It is awful isn't it?! The truth is we are all very different, but it really helped me reading other people's stories. I'm particularly fascinated by stories of people going in for a second LLETZ and finding cancer: not come accross one yet, but there is always the fear of being the first! I don't know about wait times in your area, but I rang in 2 weeks after my LLETZ and my results were back. It's worth trying if you are particularly anxious, as I was. It sort of took over my life. I asked to speak to the consultants secretary and she was lovely. Worth a try if it all gets too much. Hope you don't have to wait too long x

In honesty even after posting this yesterday I was feeling more at ease. Even realising this charity had had so many women go through the same thing! I never realised how much of an issue it was until a week ago. 

I have no clue how long I need to wait for the results. I know the woman that did my colposcopy said she was away for 2 weeks after I had the treatment so I might call them after I know she is back. They got me into hospital within a day though. I hope it is CIN3 at most and nothing worse :/

So far the discharge hasn't changed, it's been pretty consistent since the treatment and a very light almost yellow/green colour. But as it has been like that since day 1, I'm not too worried unless it changes. I have no pains etc now either which is nice!

Being able to talk to you ladies is a god send!! xxx

I'm going through the same thing. I'm 14 days post LLTEZ and still have the peachy/watery coloured discharge. I had a few days of heavy bleeding with the black bits which seem to have gone now and i'm back to the watery stuff. I too had an odor. I did ring the nurse and she said unless i have a temp or feel unwell it's natural. So i'm just waiting it out :) I have my P this week though, so i won't be able to tell what's going on but hopefully next week i'll be nearly back to normal. 

Sending happty thoughts :) 

Luckily thanks to the pill I am on I don't have to deal with the evil P, but hopefully once that is done with, you'll be back to normal :)

It is useful getting different perspectives and accounts of what people have experienced. I was told so little about what to expect. 

Speedy recovery xx